• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TKS anti-ice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe smaller airports might not carry it, but I fly a Citation S-II and we don't seem to have a problem finding it. Florida seems to be the only place where there seems to be an issue. Even in Texas and California where we go into that has at least 5000' runways all seem to have have a supply of it. Of course a lot of people scratch their heads when we tell them that our citations TKS needs topped off.
At an operation I flew with (Also an S/II operator) we carried it around in a special case in the tail in the chance we couldn't find any at our destination. That stuff SUCKS to work with...very slippery.

TKS is very difficult to obtain in China. Fed Ex will handle it or you can put it on a train. Either way, your gonna sit for a few days if you need it. Our Ops wouldn't allow us to carry it on board the aircraft.

Why does Hawker insist on using TKS for anti/de-icing? Seems to me on any jet bleed air is cheap and unlimited and much less messy, the TKS thing has always confused me, and having to fill it up behind the cockpit inside the aircraft can get messy.

My best guess goes back to its inception. The first generation engines used on it (Were they Vipers?) weren't all that powerful, and they probably couldn't spare any bleed air. Just a guess

I know that, but however todays engines have the extra power, and to me bleed air would be a whole lot easier. I believe that the new 900 still uses TKS.

I agree...I'm thinking, as always, it boils down to $$$. If it's worked for close to 40 years, why bother spending money to change it? That being said, there's a few things that could changed to the original Hawker design (External baggage and high operating ceiling for starters...)

I've heard that the 4000 has a hotwing.

Have they ever given you an explination in training as to why they continue to use this? There must be a reason as it seems like a real pain in the butt. I know when I was working line service I used to hate filling those things up.

Latest resources

Back