Tips to flying the Boeing 727

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First Officer flows:

1. Window heat. Pitot heat. What's to eat?
2. That's pretty much it.

Hey Purple,
Is FedEx still working on that two pilot crew modification where they get rid of the First Officer and extend the gear handle so the Engineer can reach it?

At 100 feet trim 3 seconds of nose-up trip and let the airplane settle gently into the flare.

As the nose comes up during that trim, slowly pull #1 & #3 to idle, leaving #2 up at approach power.

At about 50 feet, give a smidge more nose up pressure, pull #2 to idle, and right before you think it's going to touch down, "unload", by pushing forward smoothly on the yoke, bringing the nose down and rotating the main landing gear up behind the center of rotation, and wait.

Do NOT pump the yoke forward and backwards trying to find that spot. Pick a spot and hold it. Eventually you'll get good at figure out exactly where that is.

If I'd make the same money, I could be happy flying that aircraft my entire career... My favorite of all time. Enjoy!

Holy crap. Do you have to tap your feet and rub your belly at the same time you're doing all this other stuff?

Last edited:
Many former Piedmont pilots will remember this from Elmo Torez, Sr.

"You can never be too high in the 727, except maybe one time in Roanoke"

Classic Line.

Just curious about the rest of the story here...I grew up in ROA and flew Piedmont all the time so I have a bit of nostalgia about the place.

Does anyone remember Len Morgan's column in Flying magazine called "Flying the 3 Holer"? It was a great piece of writing, I have searched google for it, but cannot find it online. I actually do still own the issue where they reprinted it, in April of 2000.

How did that old saw go about the 727?

something like --

...shiny switches go up before takeoff, down after landing and if it is dusty don't touch it...

Latest resources

Back