Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tips on Successfully Interviewing at SWA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chase

Since this section of FI is designed to help those interviewing, I'd like to solicit suggestions/thoughts from those who have been successful at interviewing at Southwest. It is designed to help those who are interested. The suggestions maybe universal so please don't take this as a slam or chest beating of Southwest. Please indicate with your post how many times you interviewed after your name, i.e. (1), (2), etc. This will allow folks to see what experiences the poster went through to get to Southwest.

Focus specifically on the "interview itself", not necessarily on your "preparation" for interviewing..."what would you change about the execution."

If there were things you would do differently please post those also since one can learn from other's faux pas.

I also realize there are many individuals who have interviewed who weren't selected for one reason or another & would probably make great SWA pilots. It is a mystery to why those weren't selected but some of these great individuals might have suggestions for those wannabees, good or bad.

Despite walking in looking like I had just returned from a 3rd world country with a skin disease (I had skin poisoning on my lips...not a pretty sight even normally, but even worse so this time), I make some slightly humorous comments regarding it & it seemed to make everyone at ease. It certainly wasn't planned on my part (I got sun poisoning while on vacation just prior to going to the interview) but I had to deal with it.

I kept the stories focused & on point....there were several I hadn't thought of but recalled stories that pertained to other questions that allowed me to answer the question....I almost asked to beg out of one but recovered....no problem if you do though. I engaged with as many of the other interviewers as would get near me (they thought I was contagious I'm sure)...the logbook review went quickly thanks to the AF....less than 2 minutes spent on them.

I was comfortable & relaxed...one guy knew it was one of the interviewer's birthday & had some noise makers for everyone to join in the celebration....I blew mine & went on....don't recall if he got hired or not...don't think so but can't recall for sure. Otherwise I tried to just relax & was myself. It was in PHX at the time, they don't do that anymore and it was only a 1/2 day unlike the process today with the LOI.

Others please add your stories/suggestions to help others in their quest. Cheers,

3 time loser. 1997, 1999, 2005.

Will try again as soon as I'm called. 12 months is up in July.

I've helped/coached a few as to the interview profile. Many have gotten on. With the exception of the LOI it's basically the same since 1997.

Most of the questions are situational and many a "negative leaning." Meaning, "Tell me about a time you had a difficulty with a fellow crewmember." "Tell me about one of your longest days."

Don't talk too much (my problem) and don't think about your answer too much. Try to turn it into a positive, like, "I learned about flying from that...." ;)

This LOI is really a piece of cake, particularly if you've had airline or crew experience. The only problem is that it goes by really quick. 7 minutes. Make a decision, but don't leave yourself without options. You have a chance to debrief yourself. Use it!

Why haven't I been successful? He!! if I know. lol. I guess I'm an a$$hole! One problem is that I've lived in the DFW area all three interviews and didn't stay at the hotel with the other interviewers. I'm guessing that has/had something to do with it. Team concept. Sociallize!

It's really kinda funny if I don't think about it too much.

Interviewing with B6 on Tues. which I hear is a similar interview.

My logbook review was INCREDIBLY painful! My interviewer was civilian and spent about 10 minutes multiplying everything that I had on my form by .3 or some other random #. She quizzed me on every column that was listed. It was a painful process. The other 2 people that I interviewed with were quite pleasant.

The LOI was crazy! Would have been much better if they would have laid out planned alternates. Basically, you sit down with a situation and have to pull stuff out of your magic cape. No charts, no flight plan, etc, etc.

Otherwise, it was a very nice experience...

mule said:
My logbook review was INCREDIBLY painful! My interviewer was civilian and spent about 10 minutes multiplying everything that I had on my form by .3 or some other random #. She quizzed me on every column that was listed. It was a painful process. The other 2 people that I interviewed with were quite pleasant.

The LOI was crazy! Would have been much better if they would have laid out planned alternates. Basically, you sit down with a situation and have to pull stuff out of your magic cape. No charts, no flight plan, etc, etc.

Otherwise, it was a very nice experience...

I'm sorry the experience was so nerve racking.

My theory--

Everyone says just be yourself because they mostly just want to see the real you. Do you work to get along with others or do you get stubborn and want everyone to just "get used" to you? Listen to your interviewer! Adjust to changes in tempo during the interview. Patience and smiles go a long way. Nervousness sometimes looks like impatience so try to relax. But be on your toes and practice the fine art of short story telling. But be able to modify them as you will likely need to. (There is also a competitive aspect to the selection board so I'm actually simplifying it too much. I'm just talking about success in the interview.)

If you like coming to work and hanging around the bar or going out to eat on overnights, that will probably come out. If you hate being on the road with new people all the time and just want to draw a paycheck, that may show in the interview and will definitely come out on the line. More than anything, SWA wants people who work hard and like to meet people. My FedEx bud teases me because I will block more hours this month than he has all year. You guys looking for a good reserve gig and can tolerate living in Memphis, go there instead.

Just my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Wish I knew the code! I interviewed recently but didn't get hired. I thought the interview was a breeze - much easier than I expected. The logbook review took about 2 minutes. Maybe I ate the wrong thing at lunch. Maybe I should have taken the red pill instead of the blue one.... Don't believe everything the interviewers tell you. My group was told that they "could hire everyone they interview" yet only 2 out of 11 in my group were hired and every one seemed to have a strong background and good personalities. Of course I don't know anyone's background checks but I can't believe they were all on the FBI's most wanted. My rejection letter stated that there were more qualified applicants than positions available. Either the letter was a lie or we were lied to on interview day. Perhaps it was to spare feelings or to get people to relax - still one was not true. Personally I would rather be told the truth no matter how harsh. "you tell bad stories" or "you dress funny" or your looks would scare our more sensitive passengers" or your LOI showed a high probablity of death for all passengers and hundreds on the ground". Perhaps it was really "one of our interviewers doesn't like someone with your background because someone like you pissed him off 30 years ago and now its payback." I guess I'll never know. Its their company and they have the right to do whatever they want within the law. It would be nice if they gave you feedback so you could improve but they don't. That's the job market we're in. I would say the "be yourself" advice is only valid if you either know you fit the mold of "the culture" as seen by the few people who will interview you (which is impossible to know) or you honestly don't want to be hired unless you do fit that view. Otherwise treat it like a first date and minimize your flaws and put your best face on. If anything I think I was too relaxed and open - hey I read "Nuts!" - everything is happy and fun right? Again I really don't know so it could be anything including the red pill.....

Last edited:
I have a theory on the logbook interview - although ONLY a theory and maybe others in "the know" can discount this theory. This is gathered from all the interview prep clients who have debriefed with me after their interview.

In the interview field, we have a type of interviewing called the "stress interview" or more commonly known as the "good cop/bad cop" interview. The procedure is used to see if you can get along with all kinds of people - not just ones that are nice to you.

Usually you have interviews with one-two people that are nice to you (at SWA it seems to be two people). Then there is one interviewer who upsets the apple cart on purpose to see how you react under stress. From what I have heard from my clients, this typically happens in the logbook interview. He/she is not outright mean to anyone, just a little more "persistent" with the candidates. Acting confused about entries you have made, questioning items, etc.

I firmly believe that they are testing your ability to get along with others. How you react to this type of interview tells them how you will act when you have to fly with people you do not like.

Now, as I stated, I have no proof they are using this tactic, but based upon my six years as a hiring manager, that is what it sounds like to me. Just be on your guard, and know that you might get an interview like this.

Just my thoughts....

chase, why would you be interested in "helping" SWA hopefuls unless you KNOW the process favors one type of personality over the other, and that this causes good people to fail? Might you have had a few friends try and fail?, so you're trying to come to grips with a system that you now realize isn't optimized to finding the best person for the job? Think about this, if the SWA pilot hiring system works, aren't you doing the company harm by helping people manipulate the system?

Think about it bro

:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back