Tips on flying old Cessna 182

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CSY Mon said:
Hold the brakes, warm up the engine, pull full flaps with full power, let go the brakes and pull back in one second or so...Lift off in one airplane lenght and experience severe low-level turbulence due to the strong winds.

Dude, every STOL take off empty in the twin otter is like that. (Well, not exactly, but pretty close) Not much more than oh...100 feet into a good wind. By your off the brakes are realize that you are accelerating, the airplane is already airborne. Gotta be real quick on the roll over to get the airspeed up. Fun times indeed.

Oh wait, I should probably add something about flying the 182. I have a few hundred hours on it from flying jumpers up in Canada. I didn't really find the nose heavy issue to be a real problem. It is by far the best G/A aircraft that I have had the pleasure of flying. I flew both the straight (yes, before the 'A' model) and a B model. The straight 182 was the easiest airplane to fly in all aspects. It handled like a dream, was very forgiving, and could be landed with a finger looking out the door.

Bye bye.

--Juggs

Anyone have the V speeds around? What kind of speed to expect on approach ? Thanks for all the tips guys, and keep them coming :)

Dude, every STOL take off empty in the twin otter is like that. (Well, not exactly, but pretty close) Not much more than oh...100 feet into a good wind.

Yeah I know, got a few thousand hours in the Twotter, wheels and floats.
Like that plane a lot.

Last edited:
Eating trees

The short field stuff brings up another 182 quirk I ran into. At light weights and 10 flaps it will come off the ground before you see speed on the airspeed indicator, but it will only fly in ground effect and will not climb until you nose over and accelerate. This is no problem on a long runway, but doing a real short field with trees at the end could give you some real surprises. Use the POH short field technique and a 182 is awesome.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Since we're on the subject of 182's

Any guidance on how to lean my 182Q at higher density altitudes for takeoff?

Example would be 90 degrees F at 5000'. Common enough scenario here in CA.

Does the constant speed prop hinder my normal technique of leaning for best RPM? What about Continentals insistance that a full rich mixture be maintained at any power setting above 75%? I want best power available, but of course at the same time need to take care of the engine. My only indication on the panel for mixture per se, is an EGT guage.

Thanks.

P.S. On a side note. Anybody here flown into Burning Man (Black Rock Desert) How was it? Gotcha's??

Latest resources

Back