Tips on flying old Cessna 182

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cougar6903

I'm doing a flight tomorrow in a 182B and have never flow one. Anyone have any good tips or tricks they can pass on? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Steve

I haven't flown a "B" model either, but the answer might depend on what you =have= flown before.

Real heavy nose with no one in the back seats, lots of nose up trim and it wants to land nose first if you are not ready. If you have been flying C-150/172's it is much heavier.

I'd recommend limiting your flaps unless you have people in back. You may need to add slight power in the the flare to get the the nose up, so you don't pancake.

I agree with pilotyip and hotwings. Try to limit flaps to 20 for landing, that will help with the pitch attitude. Also coming in on final with nose up trim will help. These things want to land nose first.

The 182 I fly is an old jump plane, circa 1957 I believe. Nose up trim and 2 notches of flaps for landing.

Yup. I agree, the 182 be nose heavy.

Have fond memories of the 180 however, did some stunts with that model flying fish of the beaches in Alaska.

The most memorable flight was a T/O in a 50 knot headwind:

Hold the brakes, warm up the engine, pull full flaps with full power, let go the brakes and pull back in one second or so...Lift off in one airplane lenght and experience severe low-level turbulence due to the strong winds.

Don;t have balls for that sh!t anymore.....:eek:

Uh, as far as the 182, keep the trim back and the nose up if flying empty.

I agree with all the posts on a nose heavy airplane. Limit your flaps, nail your approach speed (85 KIAS?), and try to stall the airplane over the runway. Very, very, nose heavy. The heavier engine (O-470?) is a lot heavier then the 172 O-300C/320 and the firewall will not forgive a nosewheel landing. Land on the nose with much speed and you will bend the firewall. I also believe that airplane has a trimable horizontal stabilizer and not a trim tab.

CSY Mon said:
Hold the brakes, warm up the engine, pull full flaps with full power, let go the brakes and pull back in one second or so...Lift off in one airplane lenght and experience severe low-level turbulence due to the strong winds.

Dude, every STOL take off empty in the twin otter is like that. (Well, not exactly, but pretty close) Not much more than oh...100 feet into a good wind. By your off the brakes are realize that you are accelerating, the airplane is already airborne. Gotta be real quick on the roll over to get the airspeed up. Fun times indeed.

Bye bye.

--Bongo

Latest resources

Back