tips for flying the Caravan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BGSM

I have an interview and a flight test that will be done in the Caravan. I have never been in one nor have any turbine time. Any power settings speeds, and suggestions would be appreciated!!

10 11 12 rule. 10 Degrees of flaps, 1100 lbs. of torque gives you 120 knots.

Roughly 600 lbs of torque will give you a nice 500 fpm descent on an ils.

When you land, don't reduce the power to flight idle as you'll really sink quickly during the flare.

You'll need lots of right rudder at high power settings (takeoff, stall recovery). Watch the ball and don't fly sideways. As you get more time you'll be able to feel if you're out of rudder trim, but keep an eye on it in your first few hours. Also during stall recovery, you don't lower the nose...just add the power and let it fly out of it.

Hope this helps a little! It's a great airplane to fly.

I have an interview and a flight test that will be done in the Caravan. I have never been in one nor have any turbine time. Any power settings speeds, and suggestions would be appreciated!!

Easy to fly.

Ice. Just act like it has no de-icing systems and make every effort to leave
the icing conditions IMMEDIATELY. 120KIAS is the magic number. If you can't
maintain that, it's time to find an airport or find warm air.

Enjoy it. It's a great plane.

CE

Easy to fly.

Ice. Just act like it has no de-icing systems and make every effort to leave
the icing conditions IMMEDIATELY. 120KIAS is the magic number. If you can't
maintain that, it's time to find an airport or find warm air.

Enjoy it. It's a great plane.

CE

If you dont have turbine time or caravan time they are only going to be looking for instrument ability or basic pilot skills..

Keep in mind the caravan flys like a 182 only easier.. very comfortable, safe, and easy to fly..

Be yourself relax and always allow your decision to be based on fars and safety.

Bring the power up smooth on takeoff set the torque to about 100 lbs under max and it will settle right in. Dont be scared to punch hdg and alt on the autopilot.. Use automation to make your job easier the examiner or check pilot will notice that.. The dumbest thing you can do is sit there trying to brief an approach while handflying the plane all over the sky..Remember the autopilot is your copilot

Hmm, I dont have any straight and level time in the Caravan, I flew skydivers in it. She's a great bird, very docile and responsive. All I know is power to flight idle at 13,500' and pitch 5 knots below Vmo and your main wheels will be on the ground in 2 minutes and 50 seconds. When you set the power for takeoff, add it slowly, and make sure you set it about 50 lbs or more below red line torque (1870 ft/lbs I THINK) because it will ram rise as your airspeed increases. You will need to keep advancing the power lever to mantain a certain torque setting in the climb, it decreases with altitude similar to manifold pressure. Also, she's pretty nose heavy in the flare, so dont take the power out early and be ready for a good bit of back pressure to get her nose up. Enjoy and good luck bro!

Hmm, I dont have any straight and level time in the Caravan, I flew skydivers in it. She's a great bird, very docile and responsive. All I know is power to flight idle at 13,500' and pitch 5 knots below Vmo and your main wheels will be on the ground in 2 minutes and 50 seconds. When you set the power for takeoff, add it slowly, and make sure you set it about 50 lbs or more below red line torque (1870 ft/lbs I THINK) because it will ram rise as your airspeed increases. You will need to keep advancing the power lever to mantain a certain torque setting in the climb, it decreases with altitude similar to manifold pressure. Also, she's pretty nose heavy in the flare, so dont take the power out early and be ready for a good bit of back pressure to get her nose up. Enjoy and good luck bro!

Or as the last guys go out pop her into beta she will go right over on her back do about 4 vertical rolls pop it into idle around 130kts and the heads down guys will give you all kinds of cool photos with you in the background.

The jump caravans were noce heavy because you were basically empty all the time. The freighters and pax planes are a little easier..

Where did you fly the jumpers?

It's been a while since I have been in a Caravan. Rudder is important. Shoes that I wore while flying the Caravan have the soles worn more on the upper part of my right foot than the left from all the time on the rudder. There is rudder and aileron trim, but for the most part I would not use that in anything but cruise. You have to keep an eye on fuel balance to keep it flying nicely. I could not tell you how other people ran it, some would just keep both tanks on. Unless your in smooth well coordinated level flight I did not find this all that effective. I would run on one tank and change tanks often.

The other thing that you have to remember is that with a turbine engine you can easily over-torque or over-temp it. PT-6's tend to over-torque first, Garretts tend to over-temp first. You will not be pushing the power lever to the stop. You will have to set the power using the torque and egt gages. You will also have to compensate for ram air pressure, so on takeoff you would set it slightly lower than max and once your airspeed increases it would come right up to limits. Note that I have heard of situations where the engine could exceed rpm limits as well but this is a pretty rare occurrence. If you are flying a Fedex feeder Caravan it will have a PARS unit in it (they did when I was flying them). This records a bunch of engine/airframe/performance information. It will show exceedences so you will have to cop to management if you inadvertently blew through some limitations. In most cases small excursions do not require any maintenance action so don't worry about it.

Ice in a Caravan is not fun. They will tell you that 105 KIAS is the ice limit speed (was when I was flying them) the 120 knot figure is more reasonable.

A bone headed idiot can fly a Caravan - it is super simple. (no insults to 'Van drivers!). It's the operation of the aircraft in WX, ice and other conditions that requires skill.

A very important thing to remember about the Van, in addition to the points brought up already in this thread, is the way the wing is constructed. Take a look at the diagram of the plane and you'll notice two things. One: the airlerons are pathetically small for a wing that big. Two: the flaps are enormous, darn near the size of a 172 wing. Keep these points in mind as you're flying the thing.

With those tiny ailerons, your roll responsiveness is going to be lousy at best. That means your ability to correct course and heading will be adversely affected and locking onto a localizer can be an exercise in hilarity and frustration if you're not careful. Best bet is to keep the corrections tight, and focus on locking onto a heading rather than chasing the localizer needle.

With the gigantic flaps, the airplane WILL react when you move them. Take out flaps, and the plane will literally fall out from under you. Extend flaps, and the thing will feel like it's leaping towards the moon. Anticipate these reactions when you move the flaps and be ready on the elevator. Depending on the speed, you're going to have to push/pull suprisingly hard on that control wheel to maintain an altitude or a glideslope.

Oh, one more thing. Keep that ball centered at all times. If you should happen to stall the sucker and it's not coordinated, you're going for a ride that you will NOT enjoy.

A very important thing to remember about the Van, in addition to the points brought up already in this thread, is the way the wing is constructed. Take a look at the diagram of the plane and you'll notice two things. One: the airlerons are pathetically small for a wing that big. Two: the flaps are enormous, darn near the size of a 172 wing. Keep these points in mind as you're flying the thing.

With those tiny ailerons, your roll responsiveness is going to be lousy at best. That means your ability to correct course and heading will be adversely affected and locking onto a localizer can be an exercise in hilarity and frustration if you're not careful. Best bet is to keep the corrections tight, and focus on locking onto a heading rather than chasing the localizer needle.

With the gigantic flaps, the airplane WILL react when you move them. Take out flaps, and the plane will literally fall out from under you. Extend flaps, and the thing will feel like it's leaping towards the moon. Anticipate these reactions when you move the flaps and be ready on the elevator. Depending on the speed, you're going to have to push/pull suprisingly hard on that control wheel to maintain an altitude or a glideslope.

Oh, one more thing. Keep that ball centered at all times. If you should happen to stall the sucker and it's not coordinated, you're going for a ride that you will NOT enjoy.

Is there a story behind that remark :)

Is there a story behind that remark :)

There is indeed, and it is an integral part of the reason why I'm a retired freight dawg now. For a case of beer I'll share it. :)

One more pearl of wisdom to BGSM. I'm not sure how in depth they're going to get in this flight check you're going to take, but keep a keen eye on that annunciator panel. If you see, or if the person administering the flight check mentions that you see, either the "Reservoir Fuel Low" light or the "Chip Detector" light there is only one acceptable course of action for either one. Drop whatever you are doing at that particular moment, declare an emergency, and get your butt to an airport NOW! There are good reasons why those particular indicators are refered to as the "OH S$%@!" lights.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back