• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

tips for flying the Caravan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have logged 1700 plus hours in the old bird. Both the A and B models with pods. I think the Caravan is the easiest thing to fly, hell, I would hope that most of you would agree that it is the worlds greatest toy. I dont believe it flies any diffrent than any other large powered single or turbine in respect to keeping on the ball, or flying it in with some power.

PIPER887 has quoted the old Golden Rule, or Golden Settings in this case. you cant lose with 10, 11, 12. However, if you fly into any major airports with high flow, you should plan on approaching at red line. you will be vectored around the world if you try to fly that baby by the book at the major airports.

Regarding the posting from Prince deitrick (sorry if I spelled it wrong) I am sure he has a story behind that statement. However, remember there are also spoilers on top of the wing assisting the lateral movement of the aircraft. lets face it, look at the bird, she is big and bulky, but she handles absolutely fine. You will find her harder to turn on the high end of the airspeed indicator. but you shouldnt be nose diving it into the runway at red line while turning anyway.

The icing issues. I have always felt that they were over exagerated. I flew the caravan up and down the North East and into Canada. I have seen it with a solid inch plus, I have landed it in heavy cross winds with just that dam hot plate. Since I just mentioned it that was the only thing I faulted the plane for. That ice plate was not the right size for that aircraft, we would jam our over coats up on to the glare shield with the defrost blasting at times trying to melt the ice on the wind screen. In icing it is like any thing else, avoid it when you can. In heavy icing you can plan on losing a good 30 KIAS, but she handles it fine. she is a hell of a bird.

OLD WIG PILOT

Enjoy the ride. let us know what you thought of the Caravan.

Last edited:
You know how to fly a 172??? Then you can fly a caravan

I think ive heard that story...

You probably have, I would imagine it's an Airnet legend by this point.

It's also the reason why the CP has a permanent place of honor at the top of my s#!^ list.

Regarding the posting from Prince deitrick (sorry if I spelled it wrong) I am sure he has a story behind that statement. However, remember there are also spoilers on top of the wing assisting the lateral movement of the aircraft. lets face it, look at the bird, she is big and bulky, but she handles absolutely fine. You will find her harder to turn on the high end of the airspeed indicator. but you shouldnt be nose diving it into the runway at red line while turning anyway.

Yeah, perhaps I should have used different wording there. How about this: if you are used to flying more agile planes like Barons, do not try to fly a Van the same way you'd fly a Baron. I used to liken it to going from driving a sports care to driving a loaded Mack truck.

C-208

Thanks for all the input, I was offered the job right after the flight!The van flys just like a C-182 very simple. I was going to try and hold out for an FO position in the corporate world but being unemployed and needing a job is another thing.Plus it seems like a great place to work the CP and owner were very nice and made sure that they stressed safety during the interview which I liked. The run is very very short so I won't build a lot of turbine time. I am not sure how well single turbine time will help me later down the road but I think its going to a good place to work!

Congrats! Have a cold one! :beer:

Thanks for all the input, I was offered the job right after the flight!The van flys just like a C-182 very simple. I was going to try and hold out for an FO position in the corporate world but being unemployed and needing a job is another thing.Plus it seems like a great place to work the CP and owner were very nice and made sure that they stressed safety during the interview which I liked. The run is very very short so I won't build a lot of turbine time. I am not sure how well single turbine time will help me later down the road but I think its going to a good place to work!

Congrats!!! You'll love the Caravan, I know I did. I remember ever engine start, aahhh. Never got tired of that sound. Oh yeah, remember to keep fuel balance. And double check your flight controls. :D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back