tips for flying the Caravan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
huh?

There is indeed, and it is an integral part of the reason why I'm a retired freight dawg now. For a case of beer I'll share it. :)

One more pearl of wisdom to BGSM. I'm not sure how in depth they're going to get in this flight check you're going to take, but keep a keen eye on that annunciator panel. If you see, or if the person administering the flight check mentions that you see, either the "Reservoir Fuel Low" light or the "Chip Detector" light there is only one acceptable course of action for either one. Drop whatever you are doing at that particular moment, declare an emergency, and get your butt to an airport NOW! There are good reasons why those particular indicators are refered to as the "OH S$%@!" lights.

You should probably pay attention to the warning horns before you get the res. low light.

I'm a mechanic with 13 years on Caravan only experience most with a Fedex feeder operation and have never heard of a chip light illuminating (outside of testing them on phases). PT6's are not metal makers like Garrett 331's.

You should probably pay attention to the warning horns before you get the res. low light.

I'm a mechanic with 13 years on Caravan only experience most with a Fedex feeder operation and have never heard of a chip light illuminating (outside of testing them on phases). PT6's are not metal makers like Garrett 331's.

Couple of years ago there was a Caravan that went down near Omaha, the chip detector light blinked for a split second but it was enough to spook the pilot into doing an about-face back to the airport. As soon as he'd finished the turn the engine crapped out completely and he made a perfect deadstick landing onto a highway. From what I heard later, his accessory drive gave up and siezed the engine.

And the res low light isn't caused exclusively by poor fuel management. Murphy loves to find ways to block off those ports into the res tank, either completely cutting off flow or creating enough of a blockage so that it drains faster than it refills.

In short, never say never.

That might do it (chip light), gear failure. It would take a piece of a gear or a serialized part to bridge the chip detector poles.....lol!

I've seen remnants of red rags in the firewall fuel filter too but the engine performance wasn't affected.

But I'll agree, never say never.

Those were always my favorite two abnormals to throw out in the simulator. Sometimes the reactions to them are rather comical.

I gave one guy a chip detector light and he immediately started to deploy the standby flaps. After a couple seconds of headscratching I paused the sim and asked what on earth he was doing. "Well I've got a flap failure light," as he pointed at the amber annunciator staring him in the face. To give him credit, only the right half of the annunciator was lit up (it was one of those 2 sensor setups) so all he saw was P ECTOR

The Caravans alot of fun. As for the Single engine Turbine Time, well you know the old addage. A buck and a half and all that turbine time will buy a SMALL cup of coffee at Starbucks.
And pay attention to Skydivingguy, he knows his Caravans. He is the Caravan GURU in my book.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back