• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Timing your exit...2011 update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Albie, great post. There is a lot of great information. You should post it on APC. I am sorry that your thread got hijacked.

Great post Albie. Read and follow his words if you want an airline job. He helped me (and a lot of my friends) get hired in 2006. I just want to add to what he has said:

1. NETWORK should be at the top of the list. Getting the job is about timing (you have little to no control of), who you know (you have total control of), and how well prepared you are(see Albie).
2. When you ask for a recommendation always let the person know that you can send a couple of “samples” to help them out. Otherwise, depending on how busy they are, you may be waiting for a while.
3. Apply everywhere. I’ve watched several guys who wanted Southwest and nothing else. They get the interview and don’t get hired; now they are SOL.
4. Definitely save leave, I was asked to start 3 weeks after the interview, had 72 days of terminal leave saved up that took me to my separation date. You need to be able to go when they want to hire you; your personal plans are second.
5. Join the guard/reserve. It provides several advantages including; money, camaraderie that you lose when you leave the active side, the ability to control your schedule a little bit while being junior at the airline, and of course retirement.
6. If you are overweight lose it. There were 6 of us at CAL (UAL) the day I interviewed. The most qualified guy with the most hours and ratings was the only one that did NOT get hired. He was also very large. While we all know that this is discrimination proving it is another thing. Remember they are looking at you and projecting what you will look like in 25 years, if you are already big now then what will you look like then.
7. Plan on operating in the red for a couple of years. I planned on 2 years but the combination of the age change to 65 and delays in getting a new contract and extended that time. Save as much as you can now, it will save on the stress later.

"Wow...really? Vipor? What's that? Your intelligence is really shining through BeeVee"

tmacc333 -

I haven't been retired from the AF that long.....? Isn't the "nickname" for the F-16 the "Vipor" ?? I know the "official" name is the "fighting falcon" but I thought we affectionately called it the Vipor......

[/FONT]If you are overweight lose it. There were 6 of us at CAL (UAL) the day I interviewed. The most qualified guy with the most hours and ratings was the only one that did NOT get hired. He was also very large. While we all know that this is discrimination proving it is another thing. Remember they are looking at you and projecting what you will look like in 25 years, if you are already big now then what will you look like then.

Actually, they can "discrimination" against fat people and it's legal. The only things that you can have recourse/sue over are, race, religion, gender, disability, and maybe soon sexual orientation. Otherwise they can hire/fire overweight people, it's the companies choice.

AlbieF15, great post, just one thing, the FEX written is $150 now, if you do the all day prep at ATP. it's $295.

To the fellow asking about UAV time...I`m afraid the airlines would lump that in with helicopter and simulator time. Nice to have, but won`t add anything to the hiring picture.

To the two ex career USAF officers having the cat fight...do either of you realize just how childish you sound?

Pssst.....It happened a while back. Don't get 'em riled up again.

-another AF officer. (but just support stuff....not tip o' the spear)

:blush::rolleyes::pimp: lol rofl WTF?

Latest resources

Back