Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Timing is everything... Well not really.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nice posts all. Read again what Tim47SIP said. He's on the right course. You don't want to be starting a missed from anywhere other than the MAP (for all the reasons he gave). Without the time or the DME you might still know when you get there based on a marker signal but, it's a lot more comfortable to have an idea of when you should hear that marker or see its lights. Bottom line is use all the information available to you. Time is one of those things, don't ignore it.

Note: You aren't "timing" so that you can switch from an ILS apch to a LOC appch. I wouldn't recommend that. If a component, such as GS fails, you should miss, regroup, and start the LOC apch from scratch. You are timing so that you can know when to start the miss. It's just an aid to knowing where you are. If you did not time the ILS, that shouldn't be a "failure" on a check ride as it is not mandatory. I just think it's good technique, but it's not law.

Another recommendation: Don't fly the approach only from "memory". The plate should always be where you can quickly and easily refer to it. Memory is great, except we humans forget. The more that goes wrong, the more we forget. Keep that plate where you can see it and reference it during the approach. This will also be important when the missed approach procedure is complex, as many are. About all you should commit to memory is the heading and the altitude. The rest ..... check the plate...... again.

On the multi-tasking idea. Yes, that's a problem and you should try to limit it as much as practical (another reason to keep that plate where you can see it). In the airline environment remember, there is no such thing as a single-pilot crew. The pilot not flying, has the ready and available assistance of the most sophisticated computer in the world, i.e., the other crewmember. Use your crew, it's a team. Don't fly "solo" when there are two pilots in the cockpit.

In the more sophisticated equipment in GA like the King Airs, etc., many are flown single-pilot (something I think should not be but I can't change reality). If your only problem is a failed GS, that's really no problem at all. How about a high density area, with a failed GS and a failed engine? Think you'll be multi-tasking then? The workload can get very, very high. Prepare for it and don't push your luck. Keep that plate handy and KNOW exactly where to look on it for the info you need at the moment. Commit everything to memory and after you've interrupted that memory with the memory items on some emergency procedure, where will you be? Point = memorize ONLY those things that you HAVE to and be ready to access (read) those things that you don't.

Finally, full scale localizer deflection? This should never happen! If you're more than 1 dot off the localizer, you have a problem. Correct it and do it NOW. Full scale deflections don't happen unless you're chasing localizer needles, which you shouldn't be doing under any circumstance. Don't "fly the localizer", fly the airplane. If you point it at the airport it will get there. In other words, fly the proper heading and the localizer will stay where it should. Only two things cause localizer deviation = pilots and wind, generally in that order. If the wind is strong enough to cause a full scale deflection, you probably shouldn't be landing there anyway. Get on the right HEADING and then hold it! Staying on the localizer will become quite easy if you do that.

Heading control can't be overempnasized. Think about this. If you get to the DH with a 1 dot deflection of the localizer, what is the airpline going to be lined up with? It won't be the middle of the runway. You can do that in a light airplane and it is still possible to land out of the approach. Do it in a big airplane and you've pretty much guaranteed a miss. Manuevering 100 ft off the ground to align with the runway is not practical in large aircraft. You need to be ON the localizer and that means centered, not off to one side.

If you haven't flown large aircraft as yet, get it the habit of being precise now, while you're still in your small aircraft. It will make all the difference in the world when you transition. Just do some mental math and you'll see why I say this. Look at the distance from the DH point to touchdown. Calculate how long it takes from there to touchdown when you reach DH at 140 KTS. How many seconds? How wide is the runway? If you break out lined up with the left side or the right side (= 1 dot deflection), how much time in seconds will it take you to move the airplane back to the middle? (Remember, when you start it moving sideways, you also have to stop it moving sideways [in the center] and flare and land. Think you can do that before it touches down? Don't bet on it. You need to be in the middle of the runway when you break out and the only way you can do that is to stay on the localizer. Full scale deflections anywhere inside the FAF means you're having way too much trouble flying the airplane to be in any kind of weather other than severe clear. At 140 Kts its always less than 2 minutes from the OM to the MM. There is no time for large corrections in instrument wx. Plan ahead, stay ahead.

Fly safe.

Last edited:
Some of you have mentioned memorizing only the important information for any particular approach - after you've thouroughly briefed the entire approach or course. When I was instructing, I used to teach the student to write down three things (in big letter/numbers!) for every approach on their note pad: How low, how long, which way. How low was the MDA or DH, How long was the time and/or DME to the missed approach point, and which way was the first three words in the missed approach procedure, ie. climb to 3000. You can look at the plate for the rest after you've started the climb. Once they wrote this down, they repeated it out loud a minimum of three times. Most people can remember this for at least 5-10 minutes. If you forget, it's written in big letters on your note pad.

This seemed to work very well and helped many students with their approaches. Maybe it'll work for some of you instrument students.

missed

Declaring missed and flying missed. Yeah that can be confusing. Breaking off on 3 mile final could be a problem as one poster stated. There are towers out there. Not to mention, when you are on the ILS runway 20C or 2C approaches at Nashville BNA, you could hit another aircraft if you stray to one side of the other. Its best if you have to get out to just start climbing on runway heading. Most likely there shouldn't be anything directly above you. Say at KCGI if I was on the ILS to runway 10, and in the cessna 172 , something went totally nuts with my equiptment, about 3 miles out would. Tell ATC, they should tell me what to do from there, and I sure wouldn't make a right turn.

Trying to get to the MAP is always best however one can come up some events that could lead to a early missed. Malfunctioning equiptment for one. Say on the LOC to Runway 23 at KCEY, the localizer goes out, well yeah you still have the ADF but the localizer is out. Might want to declare missed on that one.

Now having said that , again I am reffering to light aircraft. I really don't think it would be a super great idea to break off on 3 mile final in just some random direction in your 737-300.

Like many things I guess it can go with the situation, the place, type of aircraft, etc. At least on the approach plates those towers and such are shown to scale with the 10 mile ring.

John

Latest resources

Back