Times reporting possible United and Delta merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

9rj9

NEW YORK, Jan 6 (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines (DAL.N: Quote, Profile, Research) has put on hold plans to sell its Comair regional jet service division while it explores a possible merger with United Airlines (UAUA.O: Quote, Profile, Research), the Financial Times reported on Sunday.

This is obviously false. I just read that DAL was merging with NWA in approximately 8 hrs.

TRUST me they want it done before Nov....Bush Admin. will let it go through, a new admin. will not allow 1000s laid off !!!

TRUST me they want it done before Nov....Bush Admin. will let it go through, a new admin. will not allow 1000s laid off !!!

NWA/DAL merger just announced! 40% Pay raise for everyone, 1st year pay raised to $54/hour. 100 A380's ordered, an additional 50 787's. Both carriers to keep all the md88's and dc9's, 100% of all domestic feed to be done by mainline alpa pilots and parking all 50 seat rj's. 70 and 90 seat RJ's to be merged into new integrated seniority list and added to bottom of list at 1st year pay for f/o's and longivity payrate per equipment for capt's. all former delta connection carrier and NW Airlink airline service agreements terminated as of 1/31/08. Hiring to increase to 150 per month. New hires have choice of RJ equipment behind former connection pilots. 5 year fences for everyone else.

NWA/DAL merger just announced! 40% Pay raise for everyone, 1st year pay raised to $54/hour. 100 A380's ordered, an additional 50 787's. Both carriers to keep all the md88's and dc9's, 100% of all domestic feed to be done by mainline alpa pilots and parking all 50 seat rj's. 70 and 90 seat RJ's to be merged into new integrated seniority list and added to bottom of list at 1st year pay for f/o's and longivity payrate per equipment for capt's. all former delta connection carrier and NW Airlink airline service agreements terminated as of 1/31/08. Hiring to increase to 150 per month. New hires have choice of RJ equipment behind former connection pilots. 5 year fences for everyone else.

Yeah, but did they keep the crew meals?

NEW YORK, Jan 6 (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines (DAL.N: Quote, Profile, Research) has put on hold plans to sell its Comair regional jet service division while it explores a possible merger with United Airlines (UAUA.O: Quote, Profile, Research), the Financial Times reported on Sunday.

First, I highly doubt this would happen. Think about it. If two majors merge, then other majors will be pressured to merge - you can't discriminate and allow only certain carriers to merge. If that happens, consumer choice will be vastly diminished. You need competition to keep airfares in check... Congress won't allow that to happen. AWA/USAirways happened only because USAirways was weeks away from liquidation and their hubs did not overlap. Sure, UAL is not in great shape now, but the situation there ain't too bad.

If it actually happened, think about all of the layoffs. Some hubs might close (do you need both DEN and SLC?). Won't there be redundant positions at JFK and LAX? Do you really think thousands of potential layoffs won't get the attention of local politicians? Plus, think about what would happen with the regional feed like Comair. You won't need all of those carriers involved. More jobs lost.

Yeah, I really doubt this will happen regardless what the Financial Times has to say... This seems like a bogus quote.

Last edited:

Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:24pm EST

NEW YORK, Jan 6 (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines (DAL.N: Quote, Profile, Research) has put on hold plans to sell its Comair regional jet service division while it explores a possible merger with United Airlines (UAUA.O: Quote, Profile, Research) or another rival, the Financial Times reported on Sunday.

See, I was right. Another bogus quote from that dumba$$ 9rj9. You conveniently erased the "or another rival" part from your quote. I have the correct quote below yours. Care to explain yourself????? Do you think that's funny?

The above quote is complete speculation (nothing has changed from last year).

Latest resources

Back