Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Timeline for all this ASA/Skywest ALPA stuff?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was curious as to when all this stuff is going to happen.

When are ALPA cards counted for the Skywest pilots?

Assuming they collect enough cards, when will a union vote occur?

When is the election for a new ASA MEC?

I'll attempt to answer the first two. I'm sure that ALPA knows exactly how many cards are in at all times. They need 35% of the pilots to send in a card to petition the NMB for a vote. If they can get 50% ALPA can legally certify itself without a vote if they choose to (see #19 at
http://www.nmb.gov/representation/faqs-ola.html). None of the cards can be more than a year old when they present them to the NMB, but pilots are free to send a new card every year. There doesn't appear to be any limit on the length of a union drive.

I believe 35% will not be a problem, but 50% will be. I imagine ALPA would have a vote as soon as they have confidence they would be certified, but my current feeling is that there will not be enough cards sent in to give them that confidence. But, we shall see what we shall see.

Scott

Skywest voting in ALPA would benefit both Skywest and ASA. Think longterm!

It will take years to put together a contract and todays Comair is tomorrows ASA.

What happened to those negotiations for a rate on the 70 that you were promised about 2 years ago? Make yourself sheep, and you will be devoured by the wolves! You are at will employees only if you choose to stay that way!

Ya, I see guys getting terminated left and right, that's why we're in such a hiring frenzy.

Have you not received letters in the last year from Brad stating that the competitive landscape was changing and that MGMT hoped that they could maintain your present pay and benefits but that would depend on outside conditions? They are softening you up for something down the road.

If that was to be the case then why is Brad talking increased pay proposals even if it is just talk? I don't think the tone would be increase if he was trying to "soften" us up for a reduction.

Continental Express just got a 2 year contract extension with some nice pay bumps that put their 50 seat rates near or maybe above the 70 rate at ASA. For all you ALPA bashers, take note!

What are they going to fly after they loose all of their aircraft?

Your pay rates and ours will never change until we start pulling on the same end of the rope! There is strength in numbers. Even if kept apart, we could work together to improve working conditions and pay if you had ALPA. Otherwise, we will be whipsawed and that will keep downward pressure on pay and benefits.

I think a year from now there will not be 2 equal groups to work together. And as I've said before, even if we voted in ALPA today it would be years before we could be in a position to collaborate an advantage. The economic dynamics are so rapid today there is no way contract negotiations can keep up, and I believe that is by design.

I saw an old Wang computer on Ebay, and had to laugh. What was at one time a powerful industry tool is now a relic and basically useless.

I see ALPA the same way.

And where do you see your pay rates a year from now? How about 5 years from now? Don't be in denial!

I'm tired of all the bickering and shortsightedness. If there will be no unity and it is "us vs. them" and thats it, then I propose lowering our rates and take Skywest aircraft.

Hey, I have to think of myself first right?

If ALPA gets 50% + 1 then the union can come to the company and say "Look, the majority of your pilots want representation so you can either recognize us now or later." If the company refuses the demand then the NMB will conduct a vote.

I'm tired of all the bickering and shortsightedness. If there will be no unity and it is "us vs. them" and thats it, then I propose lowering our rates and take Skywest aircraft.

Hey, I have to think of myself first right?

Honestly, I have no real idea what the current ASA contract is like.

With that being said, how does it compare to SKW? Would it be feasible to ask for EXACTLY what SKW has, plus 70 & 90 rates? It would be hard for the company to refuse, and that would end the whipsaw business. Or would that be a big pay cut?

With that being said, how does it compare to SKW? Would it be feasible to ask for EXACTLY what SKW has, plus 70 & 90 rates? It would be hard for the company to refuse, and that would end the whipsaw business. Or would that be a big pay cut?

I think that is a great idea as do many ASA pilots. However that would come with PBS and dual qualification and without a retirement plan which some here at ASA are not willing to accept.

The pilots at ASA have let it be known that's what we want, but the impression we get is Jerry wants us to have less, because the company hasn't offered us anything like what the SKYW pilots have. In fact everything they offer is far less.

The pilots at ASA have let it be known that's what we want, but the impression we get is Jerry wants us to have less, because the company hasn't offered us anything like what the SKYW pilots have. In fact everything they offer is far less.

That may be true for the pilots, but I don't believe that is ALPA's position. The Skywest pilots have PBS, dual qualification, no retirement and low 700 pay. ALPA won't budge on those issues. Maybe if ALPA budged, we could get something like what the Skywest pilots have and protect our jobs.

Oh please

If they can get 50% ALPA can legally certify itself without a vote if they choose to...................
Scott

Um...let's clarify that further...............................

19. Q: Can a union be certified by the NMB without an election?
A: Yes. If there is only one labor organization applying for representation, and the organization and the carrier agree in writing to a certification based on a check of authorization cards, the NMB can authorize the check of authorizations instead of an election. If a majority of the craft or class has signed authorizations, the organization will be certified without an election.​

Do you really think that will happen? Seriously.​

AF :cool:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back