• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Time to Solo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm pretty certain it was more than 10 hours - but most of that time was trying to figure out how to HOVER that little beast (TH-55).

I think it was around 15 or 16 hrs as I was in high school at the time and was unable to take lessons everyday or every other day.

As far as your solo goes you is the final authority as to when you solo once your instructor feels he or she is ready to sign you off.

If you feel uneasy about it or have any apprehension at all speak up!

It’s okay to be jittery or even a little scared, but if you have genuine concerns about your skills tell your instructor. Find out why and if they are really founded.

When time come you’ll know well head, you’ll brief the solo with your IP and you’ll go up first dual for some touch-n-go’s and some emergency review, then you’ll land and your instructor will hop out and ask you for three laps.

Actually I think I did five, but I wanted to and asked before hand. Later that day I even went solo to the practice area for a bit of solo sightseeing.

Oh yea, find and wear your most expensive shirt that day.

I still have my solo shirt tail and carry it around in a pocket in my flight case, signatures and all.

TMMT
:D

You is?

Geeesh.... I need a nother cup of coffee...

:rolleyes:

Solo, et al

I needed more than 20 hours before I soloed. :eek: I wasn't training under the best of circumstances. I also was a little slow in some areas. However, I took what I learned from that experience to my tenure as a CFI and improved on my experience. Depending on the syllabus where I was instructing, most of my students soloed at 10 to 15 hours. My Riddle students soloed later than they should have due to circumstances beyond their control, i.e. lack of aircraft and taking much of their lesson time to get in and out of PRC because of heavy Riddle traffic.

I never really told my students until I was ready to solo them. I didn't want to get their hopes up, only to be bummed if the lesson on which they were to solo went poorly. I'm sure most of my students could tell when we stayed in the pattern for touch and goes that they would be soloing.

I dunno where the shirttail thing began. It is an aviation tradition, though, so wear a shirt that you don't mind being cut-up. My instructor didn't cut off my shirt tail, so a good pilot friend of mine cut it off. He told me he framed his shirttail, so I did it, too.

Have fun on your solo.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back