Time to left seat in majors?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
av8raaron said:
Question from somebody who's logged most of my hours wearing nomex for Uncle Sam... About how many years/hours is a new hire FO looking at before going to the left seat at a major? Any truth to the rumor that AA is rather slow to upgrade? Also, how does progression to larger types work? Would somebody become a B737 Capt before becoming a B747 FO?

Gracias.

Info from airlinepilotcentral.com

junior captains at a few airlines with seniority, airplane, and base

AA 2/90 MD80/LGA
CO 1/98 B737/EWR
DL 12/96 MD88/NYC
NW 2/96 DC9/DTW
UA 8/96 A320/SFO
US 2/86 B737/Base unknown
WN 5/99 B737/BWI
HP 2/98 B737/PHX
AS 8/96 MD80/SEA

Non of the majors will be hiring for a while. AA has over 2500 on furlough and most of the others have many out too and on the verge of going out of business. Congress is not letting United dump their pensions right now and fuel prices are soaring. Southwest is the only long time airline dealing with passengers who can still make a profit. Jet Blue will eventually have to pay maintenance costs on their new planes and fuel hedging will come to an end some day.

I was looking for an airline job in the late 60's and got my first real interview in 79. You really have to want to be an airline pilot to hang in there. I had a brief United interview in college in 66 and am glad they didn't hire me. Had a wonderful time flying D 18's, Lears, Jetstars and Falcon 20's until I got that perfect job in 79. Now retired I just remember the good times and how much more you can learn struggling through aviation wanting to fly something bigger and not caring about benefits and work rules. Giving flight instruction from the front seat of a J3 was also quite interesting. Doug

Stupid questions deserve stupid answers

It will take exactly 4380 days. Hey buddy do some research before asking a stupid question.

$$$4nothin said:
It will take exactly 4380 days. Hey buddy do some research before asking a stupid question.

Guess you told him.

That'll probably help you deal with the fact that he'll be on with the majors a long time before any of you bitter homos.

YGBSM said:
Guess you told him.

That'll probably help you deal with the fact that he'll be on with the majors a long time before any of you bitter homos.
How can you tell if a homo is bitter?

Latest resources

Back