Time or Fuel economy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pa56pa said:
and to the person in the C650, that's ridiculous to climb to 410 on a 500 mile leg!! now, that's not thinkin period.... lol

I disagree with you here. On trips in excess of 350-400 miles, we'll usually try somewhere between FL390-430. Depends on the route, winds, etc. Flying up the east coast, it often doesn't make sense to go to FL410 as you start down barely after level-off. It takes about 5 seconds to recomputer a flight plan at a different flight level to see which provides the best time vs. best fuel.

Typical for our aircraft is to figure between 140-160 miles (give or take) to climb to FL390/410. Lets just say 150 for this discussion. So now you have 350 miles to go to destination (using your "500" mile trip). A typical descent will start 100-120 miles out, closer if you have a helpful controller. So you'll be at cruise for some 250 miles or so. Did you lose time going to FL410? Obviously, if you climbed into stronger headwinds, you screwed up.

A good rule I follow is the "10" rule. Example: 200 mile trip, FL200. 280 mile trip, FL280, etc. Generally works out pretty good, but obviously, use common sense.

2000Flyer

We use the "10" rule to determine cruise altitude. On climb we climb steeper with a tail wind and more shallow with a headwind. On descent ( if ATC gives us the option) we start down, in miles, at 3 times our altitude. Example: FL250= 75 mles FL350= 105 miles and try to think of MMO as a goal. With luck the speed you lose in the climb will be of-set with increased speed in the
descent.
The "10" rule works very well on a Cheyenne to FL250, BE- B200 to FL290, and Citation I or II to FL390 and only go higher under ideal situations.

Headwind

I use a slightly different rule of thumb, it is applicable to turbojets only since it asks for a fast climb. Take 10 % of the distance and add 5. 200 miles is FL 250. 300 miles is FL350

LearjetGA said:
I use a slightly different rule of thumb, it is applicable to turbojets only since it asks for a fast climb. Take 10 % of the distance and add 5. 200 miles is FL 250. 300 miles is FL350

I agree, I typically use the "10 plus 5" rule... 260 mile trip = FL260 plus 5 = FL310

Going high can have it's benefits too... more likely direct routings, less traffic, lighter winds (if facing a headwind), better fuel burns, usually above the weather, looking down on the airliners... :D

Did I just say that? :eek:

Flying up the east coast, it often doesn't make sense to go to FL410 as you start down barely after level-off. It takes about 5 seconds to recomputer a flight plan at a different flight level to see which provides the best time vs. best fuel.

I stand corrected.. I had a notion of a typical 500 mi. west coast, i.e. SFO-SAN and you're right, it depends on the route, etc. But say anything east of CA, I too would go 390 and/or above. I guess "I" wasn't thinkin ... :p

Oh, and thanks for the 10 plus 5 rule, I'll keep that in mind..

Latest resources

Back