Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dep676

My Glock is bigger!!!!!
Do you normally worry about starting the time on an ILS approach for your MAP? I had examiner tell me he busted someone because he was starting the clock for his time and he went full deflection on his localizer needle. I don't remember the last time I used the time for an ILS. Just wanted to get some opinions. I have an interviewing coming up.

It's a good idea to start your time on an ILS. (I'm assuming you mean the timing for the GS out localizer only approach) If you start it and your GS goes nutty on the way down, you may be able to make it a LOC only. Even if you can't, you still have some sort of range info other than the marker beacons.

I'd be pretty pissed if I failed a checkride for starting the timer. UNLESS your buddy told him that he could time an ILS approach. Full scale on the LOC though, that's almost a sure bust. You might salvage the ride if you immediately and flawlessly execute a missed.

Many people feel the reason for timing an ILS approach would be so that you could switch from an ILS to a LOC only approach should the glideslope fail while you are inside the FAF. I don't think airlines would allow you to do this per their procedures manual. I've heard that they feel that if you should lose the GS while shooting an ILS approach, you should excecute a missed approach and get vectored for the LOC only approach. This would give you time to brief only one approach prior to shooting it, rather than trying to remember two different sets of minimums for both the ILS and LOC approach.

Sure you can

If there are LOC minimums on the ILS plate you can fly the LOC without glideslope.
The approach is an ILS approach, even with the glideslope out of service. ATC would clear you for the ILS approach "glideslope out of service".

LOC approaches are in addition to and distinct from ILS approaches.

If you brief both mins., some airlines let you land. Many require however when something fails you go missed, start your climb to missed apch alt and any turns after MAP.

In my experience, we never timed an ILS approach. We briefed the ILS (usually with DME) and what to expect. If the GS went TU during the approach - which in the real world, it never did - then we would have gone missed approach after asking the controller to check his equipment.

If we then had to shoot the LOC approach, we would have briefed the approach, the times and the speeds. On a typical approach, the speed was bleeding off during the approach and was not stable enough to accurately use for a timed approach. Even on an approach expected to be down to mins, we would wait for the marker to do the final configurating. If we knew that we would be timing it, I would be on speed and configured at the marker when the clock started.

It would be a good backup to time every approach, and brief every possible scenairo, and every possible emergency, etc. But this is the real world of work-a-day pilots.

Flame away.

Timing on an ILS

I was taught and trained my students to time on an ILS, as a backup for determining the MAP and to fly it as a LOC approach in case the GS goes out.

Illini and Batman raise interesting points, though, about whether you should complete the approach if you should lose the glideslope. I hadn't really thought about it before, but, I think, they're right. I'd take a miss and get a new approach clearance. I'd also report the GS outage to ATC. As George points out, correctly, you can be cleared for a LOC approach with the GS out of service.

Now, if you have an ILS/DME approach, you can time if you want, but you would determine the MAP with the DME. If you lose the DME during the approach, you have to take a miss and get a new approach clearance. The DME is a required component of the procedure.

Probably Dep676's friend busted not because he started the timer but because he went full deflection on the localizer. Assuming no other information, that sounds like a legitimate bust to me.

What he said. This subject was beat to death - sorry to continue it. It isn't to hard though. If you brief it fly it. Or do what your airline SOPs dictate. Develop your own SOPs if you are Part 91. If it something quits working, best to miss the approach and figure out why before continuing. Yes DME is a handy tool on an approach. Many ILSs do not have DME and DME may not necessarily be legal to identify the MAP on those that do. K.I.S.S. Fly safe.

Thanks for all the reply's. I didn't have a buddy bust the ride. I had examiner tell me busted a guy for that. Just because he was to worried about getting the time started and not flying the approach. He was just making a point to me. Do we really need to start the time? Because we all know in the real world flying we do things different usually or do them our own way especially when you start flying 2 pilots.

Thanks Again

Had this discussion a month or two back with two of my instrument students they were curious as well.

I asked them why would you not time the approach?

It’s a simple thing and should not result in task saturation of even the newest of students. As you are beginning to set up for the expected approach just note the time to the missed app point and the straight in LOC mins as well. Have your stopwatch either on the yoke or on the clipboard and start timing at the final app fix.

If you break out prior to DH or higher no problem, if the G/S stays put to DH another no “problem-er” but if you lose the g/s before the Loc minimums then you can at least continue to the published loc mins with a reasonable level of safety.

Personally, even if I was timing and lost the glide I’m getting my backside out of there and sort things out. Is the problem on your end or there’s.

runt

Latest resources

Back