Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

utahpilot

Seeing the light
I was just wondering how many hours some of you regional guys spend away from home.

I often tell people that the hours away from home are about the same as a guy who works a 9-5 job, but I think that is not really correct.

if Mr. 9-5 commutes to work, say, 35 min. each way, let's say he leaves home around 8:15 and doesn't get back home often til 6 PM. For averages sake, we'll just say 8-6, or 10 hours a day, 50 hours a week.

A 2nd year RJ pilot leaves home at 10 AM for a 11 AM showtime on Tuesday. He does all his flying and is home Friday at 8 PM. That makes 81 hours away, and I think that would be a typical and not too terrible schedule?

I know that the block of hours at home are better (at least for me) and more usable when the days are all together (Sat-Tues morning), but it would put Mr. RJ away from home longer than his 9-5 counterpart.

how long are ya'll away from home in a typical week of regional flying?

mahalo

I'm a 5 year regional pilot and you're numbers are about right. It may be that the 9 - 5er spends a few less hours "away" from home but I guarantee you I get a lot more quality time with my wife and kids than any 9 - 5 job ever could.

Good topic. Along the same lines.....

If upgrades at your regional were running 3 to 4 years; does that mean that a 3 to 4 year FO is flying the same sweet schedule as a senior captain - just before upgrade? Or, do/can junior captains bid right seat to spend more time at home - thus bumping the FO back to the less desireable schedules?

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Seattle

no sweat seattle, brings up a good topic.

seems to me, things could very well go like this for many.

1-get on at a regional. just as soon as your seniority is good enough to get days off/schedules you want, it's time to upgrade to CA. you go back to reserve/weekends holidays, etc.

2-as a CA, you finally get to the point where your seniority is good enough for the day off/schedules you want, then things are ripening to get on at a major.

3-at a major, start the same process over again, with each stage multiplied by maybe 3 times in length. longer reserve, longer time to get a 'good' FO schedule, longer time to upgrade, etc.

I'm generalizing, but unless you start a regional when your single and 21, isn't that pretty close?

just wondering

Latest resources

Back