Time adjustments for logbooks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NTS ALL 4 said:
Best to keep civilian logbook seperate. At the interview bring in civilian logbook and Military AForms. Just make sure PIC + SIC = Total Time. Most companies don't give a flying crap about IP, Evaluator, and Other (Sim, Bunk time). I would bet most companies don't know about A code time either, so I wouldn't worry about that. I've been hired at 2 majors and 2 minors without a question. As stated earlier, make sure PIC+SIC=TT.

Cheers!

If you have CIV training in many cases your PIC +SIC won't equal TT. I don't know how it is if you have MIL only time, then maybe PIC+SIC=TT but I believe NTS is getting that info from the old UAL app where they wanted this. Now your PIC+SIC shouldn't be far off of your TT (unless you had alot of dual (training) logged). In my case my PIC+SIC falls about 54 short of my TT if I remember correctly from doing all thoes major apps from pre 911.

Well, the reason I'm concerned about taxi time is I'm on the very edge of meeting the application mins for many jobs with slightly less that 1000 ME Jet PIC time. I understand the conversion is normally not a huge deal, but it is everything if you are on the verge of making the mins to apply.
Also, I soon will be going to get my ATP and will require the conversion to get me over 1500TT. Anyone do this before? Are they going to arrest me on site if I try this? Once again, only a big deal because I'm on the edge, but ridiculous considering I haven't logged any taxi time, .2 per sortie really adds up when you are flying .9's all the time! I want my ATP!

highside said:
Well, the reason I'm concerned about taxi time is I'm on the very edge of meeting the application mins for many jobs with slightly less that 1000 ME Jet PIC time. I understand the conversion is normally not a huge deal, but it is everything if you are on the verge of making the mins to apply.
Also, I soon will be going to get my ATP and will require the conversion to get me over 1500TT. Anyone do this before? Are they going to arrest me on site if I try this? Once again, only a big deal because I'm on the edge, but ridiculous considering I haven't logged any taxi time, .2 per sortie really adds up when you are flying .9's all the time! I want my ATP!

highside,

Yes. Years ago, before I got my ATP, and thought I was going to get out of the Navy, I went to the FSDO with a similar number of hours and asked the same question you just did. The inspector told me he would sign off on my ATP if I did the conversions. I created an entire seperate logbook, but ended up not using it, nor getting my ATP until I had closer to 4000 hrs, so it was a wasted effort.

Last year, a former copilot of mine was in a similar situation when her recurrent sim class, which included an ATP check, got resheduled to an earlier date and she arrived at the class with ~1350 hrs. I advised her to check with the local FSDO and explain how the Navy logs flight time (see the link above to my previous discussion) and ask if she would be able to get her form endorsed. The answer was yes. She had her logbook FedEx'd to the class, did the conversion math, which put her closer to about 1550 total, and got her FAA form endorsed. She was then able to take the check ride and get her ATP.

Hope this helps and best of luck,
VVJM265

Quibbling will not be tolerated!

LearLove said:
If you have CIV training in many cases your PIC +SIC won't equal TT. I don't know how it is if you have MIL only time, then maybe PIC+SIC=TT but I believe NTS is getting that info from the old UAL app where they wanted this. Now your PIC+SIC shouldn't be far off of your TT (unless you had alot of dual (training) logged). In my case my PIC+SIC falls about 54 short of my TT if I remember correctly from doing all thoes major apps from pre 911.

If you're quibbling about 50 hours I think you have a lot more to worry about in your aviation career. I would bet even money most CIV fellas have pencil-whipped at least 50 hours in the logbook. Don't worry about the 50 hours of duel time. Just make PIC + SIC = TT and there will be no questions asked, expept by the guy who wants to know where your dual time is logged.

highside said:
As I look towards a transition to civilian flying I'm wondering how to convert my mil time (takeoff to touchdown) to civ time (allows for taxi time), for airline apps. I've heard adding .2 for every sortie as a technique. Sounds reasonable. Anybody with experience in this area? How will they view this seemingly arbitrary addition to every sortie in my logbook? I flew civilian before military so I've continued to keep a complete log of all flights unlike some mil guys who rely on flight records for that. I definitely know its not fair to compete against guys who have been logging taxi time. Thoughts?

highside,
I am not sure how the FSDO will rate the conversion, but IMHO just fly the extra 50 hours. The last thing you want is someone to question your hours. My guess is they will look closely if you are just above the mins. My 2cents.

I would think that you show the ability to read and follow instructions at the interview if you can demonstrate that you read their procedures and adjusted your military time accordingly. So just keep it as it is until you get the call and then follow their instructions. I must say though that most airlines do accept your form 5 and they know how to read it. I had a long career with lots of pages so I used a spread sheet to break it out in an easy to read format. They never looked at my logbooks at any interviews.

Good luck!

Latest resources

Back