• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tilton talking merger again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would love to see all the 70 seat jet flying at United get tossed in a merger due to Continentals scope..... THAT would be GREAT! and well worth a merger!

That will truly be something to see. SkyWests's CR7's, Shuttle America E70's & Mesa CR7's would be eliminated from uax instantly. And now I pose the $64,000 question, which name do you all think would be kept? In my opinion, I think the older name should be kept (whichever one that is). Anyone know which of those two airlines have the more senior name?

Which name do you want kept?
CO?
UA?

Unitental
or, as someone once stated, Continited?

From what I understand, Tilton wanting to run the whole show is what killed the merger the first time.

The latest I've understood is that CAL management does NOT want the merger while the shareholders do (because they'll make a boatload of money). As long as CAL is 'outperforming' UAL they are able to hold off the shareholders, and there is no way in hell they will let Glen Tilton run the show.

I'm hearing that the gates at the west side of concourse B in DEN are becoming Continental gates. The middle of the B concourse is United and the East side is mostly SkyWest/United Express. (I say mostly because Mesa and Shuttle fly from there to.)

I think a merger is FAR from a done deal. Delta still hasn't proven to be much of a threat, yet and this latest decision of JAL staying with AMR helps the cause of CAL staying independent. Tilton has done nothing but steer UAL toward chapter 7 and they are running out of cash very quickly. Of course he wants a merger. Hopefully it will not happen. Even if it does, I'm fine with it as long as UAL gets stapled.

That will truly be something to see. SkyWests's CR7's, Shuttle America E70's & Mesa CR7's would be eliminated from uax instantly. And now I pose the $64,000 question, which name do you all think would be kept? In my opinion, I think the older name should be kept (whichever one that is). Anyone know which of those two airlines have the more senior name?

Which name do you want kept?
CO?
UA?

Unitental
or, as someone once stated, Continited?

Continental. The name United is tarnished beyond belief.

Let's just do this already! I'm sick of wondering when it will happen. Let's do the deal, merge the lists etc. so we can finally plan for our futures. I'm sick of wondering when I'll hold captain or 777 FO or whatever and always having to factor in a possible UAL merger and how that will slow things down. Let's just *&**ing merge and move on. Of course, that's just my humble opinion.

I think a merger is FAR from a done deal. Delta still hasn't proven to be much of a threat, yet and this latest decision of JAL staying with AMR helps the cause of CAL staying independent. Tilton has done nothing but steer UAL toward chapter 7 and they are running out of cash very quickly. Of course he wants a merger. Hopefully it will not happen. Even if it does, I'm fine with it as long as UAL gets stapled.

The threat is what happens when Delta stops the losses due to hedging bets (on the way out of those now), and starts gaining profits due to all of those perceived "synergies". When those start kicking in, then a CAL/UAL merger will become more likely. Synergies due to combining reservation systems, putting right sized airplanes on routes, shrinking ground ops (rampers) due to less gates, less management needed (only one CEO and one CFO, etc), will all make a merger more attractive. Look for it soon I bet. And, I bet "relative" will be the term of the day with seniority lists.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
. Even if it does, I'm fine with it as long as UAL gets stapled.

Nobody is gona get stapled. Saying things like that are counter productive. UAL pilots and us have on enemy already. That enemy is MGT. They stay up at night thinking of ways to screw us, literally. If a merger does happen I hope we can all treat each other fairly, step back and stand in each others shoes and work together.

Nobody is gona get stapled. Saying things like that are counter productive. UAL pilots and us have on enemy already. That enemy is MGT. They stay up at night thinking of ways to screw us, literally. If a merger does happen I hope we can all treat each other fairly, step back and stand in each others shoes and work together.

I'm in complete agreement with everything you said. While I do hope we remain independent, should they pull the trigger and merge us, we all need to unite and do this the right way, ala Delta/Northwest. And just think, this could be the final push to get the 83-85 hires out of here!

Latest resources

Back