Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HappyFlying said:
MetroSheriff,
Last time I got really depressed and suicidal I went on a 2800 NM cross country in my 150.:D Just kidding about the depression stuff but I did fly from Bristol, TN to Del Rio, TX. I had over 30 hours XC with 6 hours actual instrument. MY butt was shaped like a 150 seat when I got back or maybe the 150 seat was shaped like my butt. I had a blast.

Fly Happy Metro,
HAppyFlying

One of my best flying memories was 15 years ago. I was trying to build time for my Commercial. Back then computerized written testing was just being tried out by the FAA. American Flyers in Addison was the only test facility.

My girlfriend (at the time) who was also building time, and I flew a 172 from Van Nuys to Addison, and back. We had a ball. That has to be the best flying trip I ever took.

Of course if you told me I had to take the same trip today, I would dread it. That is until I got started and then I am sure it would be just as much fun.

He claimed they were training airline pilots so they would fly airline patterns.

We get this same problem in Phoenix. There are a lot of "airline training" schools in the area and they all fly B-52 patterns. Tower even jokes about it.

"Traffic to follow is a B-52 - excuse me - a Bonanza on a 1 mile base."

PVU is supposedly the busiest non-towered airport in the region, so this is common. what I've never understood is the snotty, pissy attitude of so many CFI's that come on the radio and say 'hey so and so, will you keep it tighter in the pattern?' what, you don't wan't the extra .1 (if that) in your logbook? you don't want to teach your student to adjust to/handle all these different situations? is your day really going to go that much better because your base is .5 instead of .8 miles out?

I think most of the complaining comes from us CFIs who are just suffering through another lesson and waiting to get down on that last landing.

settle down, take a break, make it fun.

peace

PVU

Utahpilot--I try not to get close to PVU unless its Sunday night after dark ;) . I just hope they decide to put a tower there someday. How do you ever keep straight which Katana is behind or in front of you in the pattern.

Seriously, that place is busier than Ogden, which has class D and a tower. Never had as many in the pattern there.

I don't think wide patterns really add much to the hobbs time actually. There is however a flight school out of SLC who flies brand new Pipers and at least used to prohibit touch and goes. That taxi time really adds up...as does the 10-15 minute runup they always do - what could you possibly spend that much time checking, even with a new student?

Have fun at PVU - and much as we complain about them, the Katanas do look pretty cool!

don't forget that brand new students can only process so much at once, and some students initially need a mile final to get the thing stabilized.

also, orbiting overhead to enter on the 45 is a pain in the ass. but you gotta prepare the guy for a checkride with an examiner who sleeps with the AIM.

slapstick said:
don't forget that brand new students can only process so much at once, and some students initially need a mile final to get the thing stabilized.

If my students' approaches are unstable, they go around.
We have too many instructors at our airport who teach that ''there is no approach so bad you can't salvage it'' and we have had enough pranged airplanes over the past few years to prove it.

Landing

I keep having my primary instructor's voice going through my head "if you're not in a position to land...dont land!"

Latest resources

Back