tight patterns

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HappyFlying said:
Personally I think this teaches bad and possibly unsafe habits. I like to keep close enough to make the runway if my engine misbehaves.

That line of reasoning must make it awfully difficult to log much in the way of cross contry time.

If getting to far from the runway for fear of the engine misbehaving is unsafe, flying 50 miles from the airport must be down right suicidal.

TIC:p

Last edited:
Patterns

I have to disagree sheriff: I was taught and teach that if you are in the pattern, you better be able to make the field from any point in that pattern without power, or you're too far out. How bad is it if you are on downwind, loose your engine and cannot make the field? Pretty darn bad. Where do many engines go belly up for whatever reason (carb ice being the main culprit, forgetting to use heat) - in the pattern when you reduce power.

I do the same thing my instructors did with me--on downwind, reach over and pull the power off. the student should be able to make the runway. If hes going to be short, put power back in and show him (her) how to do it right the next time around. Also a great excercise to show the gliding capabilities of the aircraft, as well as for planning any off-airport excursion...

There are exceptions of course, and those are good for their own teaching points; when there are numerous a/c in the pattern, you cannnot fly a tight pattern - at least you should be elongating it on downwind to accomodate other a/c and those with more/less speed. Busy patterns can be great see and avoid excercises, as well as more planning for those non-standard arrivals you almost always get at large airports in B & C.

Pilotadjustor,

I was just making a joke. Hence the TIC (tongue in cheek) and the smiley face. I guess saarcasm is sort of hard to convey on a BBS.

Anyway, your points are valid. I was just bustin chops a bit.

avitar

Hey--had an early flight this AM, my sense of humor has not arrived yet...

Great avitar, by the way!

Agree

I was taught and teach that if you are in the pattern, you better be able to make the field from any point in that pattern without power, or you're too far out. How bad is it if you are on downwind, loose your engine and cannot make the field? Pretty darn bad. Where do many engines go belly up for whatever reason (carb ice being the main culprit, forgetting to use heat) - in the pattern when you reduce power.

Other then disagreeing with sheriff (I saw the humor, but then again, I've been in this hotel room too long) I agree with your post. My instructors did same thing for me and we usually kept it close.

What's a pattern???????????

I always thought you just came straight in from whichever direction you are arriving no mater what everyone else is doing.

starchkr said:
What's a pattern???????????

I always thought you just came straight in from whichever direction you are arriving no mater what everyone else is doing.
That's true... I like the overhead approach myself.

MetroSheriff,
Last time I got really depressed and suicidal I went on a 2800 NM cross country in my 150.:D Just kidding about the depression stuff but I did fly from Bristol, TN to Del Rio, TX. I had over 30 hours XC with 6 hours actual instrument. MY butt was shaped like a 150 seat when I got back or maybe the 150 seat was shaped like my butt. I had a blast.

Fly Happy Metro,
HAppyFlying

Jim said:
When we confronted Riddle's Chief Instructor (me and the Comair Cheif Instructor), his attitude was f-you.
hmm.... can you say billable hours?!

Latest resources

Back