• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

densoo

"By Christopher Palmeri

What Travelers Aren't Giving Thanks For

Record numbers of Americans will likely hit the road this year for Turkey Day, and they'll be forking out a lot more for the trip

Monica Clements thought she would get a cheap flight this Thanksgiving. The 32-year-old yoga instructor booked her trip more than a month in advance. She explored half a dozen online travel sites before finally purchasing a United Airlines flight from Los Angeles that included a one-hour layover in San Francisco and an arrival in Pittsburgh at the bleary-eyed hour of 6 a.m.

Total cost: $411.50. "The only thing I'm relieved about is the frequent flyer miles I'm collecting," she sighs."

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/nov2005/nf20051114_1782_db016.htm

About $205.00 each way LA to Pittsburgh. That's obscenely cheap. That's all the way across the country.

Tell this born-to-late-hippie wannabe, to drive it instead. Let's see . . . . 2500 miles each way x 25 mpg = 100 gallons each way . . . that 200 gallons x 2.50 per gallon = $450 for gas alone + 8 nights of hotel x $50 a night = $400 + $25 per day meals = $200 + weed expenses (not included). . . . . = minimum cost of $1050 and 6 extra days lost travelling. And she thinks that $411 is too much. Simply astounding.

I think Monica needs to lay off the weed for a while and get a grip on reality . . . . I wonder how much she charges the wives of Hollywood crowd for Yoga lessons.

I'm glad I'm flying freight instead of the Walmart losers.

densoo said:
"The only thing I'm relieved about is the frequent flyer miles I'm collecting," she sighs."

I can't imagine why she is sighing, that's a good fare! I'm paying a little less than that for my Frontier flight from FLL to DEN and am fine with it. What does she expect for a coast to coast? $80 RT?? During holidays? Forget it.

Draginass said:
About $205.00 each way LA to Pittsburgh. That's obscenely cheap. That's all the way across the country.

I think Monica needs to lay off the weed for a while and get a grip on reality . . . . I wonder how much she charges the wives of Hollywood crowd for Yoga lessons.

But your ticket comes in a nice little envelope, and you can put your weed in there . . . . (with apologies to Adam Sandler).

Seriously, when I was a kid, I remember my parents shelling out more than that for me to go from ORD to PHX . . . . and that was in 1979!

The only things I can think of that have gone DOWN in price over the last 25 years (even without adjusting for inflation!) are airfares, long distance, and computers.

Draginass said:

Tell this born-to-late-hippie wannabe, to drive it instead. Let's see . . . . 2500 miles each way x 25 mpg = 100 gallons each way . . . that 200 gallons x 2.50 per gallon = $450 for gas alone + 8 nights of hotel x $50 a night = $400 + $25 per day meals = $200 + weed expenses (not included). . . . . = minimum cost of $1050 and 6 extra days lost travelling. And she thinks that $411 is too much. Simply astounding.

I'm glad I'm flying freight instead of the Walmart losers.

411 is pretty cheap. You dont think she would get stoned before her flight? Not like the bomb sniffing devices are looking for drugs. It costs about 400 bucks to fly to Vancouver from San Fran during the non holiday season. She's getting about 2x as far on the same amount of cash. Although I loved this part of the story:

One factor that may slow things down: The recent bombings at hotels in Jordan illustrate the continuing threat travelers face anywhere in the world. Airports and hotels are upping security measures Thanksgiving weekend and beyond. Los Angeles Airport has added 10 new security screening lanes, for a total of 60. The airport is also testing new "trace" screening devices that blow air at passengers to test for evidence of explosives

Its a good thing they are adding new screeners to deal with the amount of people that will be traveling. However, I'm kind of tired of the media playing scare tactics. At least if I was flying people for a living I would be. I mean domestic terror, come on.

By my math UAL will barely break even, or more likely lose a few $$ on this given taxes are included and the SFO stopover... how lame that the story did not mention that.

And do all you rednecks who think yoga is for dirty pot-smoking hippies: You're wrong. It gives you a leaner, more toned, flexible, and less injury-prone body. I am not super into it (only been a couple times), but the scenery in class is also quite attratctive.

Immelman: put down the bong. Step away from the yoga mat:)

Phaedrus said:
Immelman: put down the bong. Step away from the yoga mat:)

I don't own a bong.. but I can tell you this: my back is killing me today because I haven't been good and stretched consistently lately. When I do, no back pain :/

Immelman said:
I don't own a bong.. but I can tell you this: my back is killing me today because I haven't been good and stretched consistently lately. When I do, no back pain :/

A beautiful small lady in Asia walking on your back is much better than yoga. Not to mention the happy ending.

Latest resources

Back