Thunderbird Plane loses part during Chicago Air Show today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

VampyreGTX

Thunderbird Plane loses part during Chicago Air Show today (two planes touched)

So the #4 jet of the Thunderbirds lost his left missle rail during on of the diamond formation flyby's. They immediately canceled the rest of the show and returned to Gary Airport safely. As they were coming in low and fast, you saw a white shiny object break off the wing of the #4 jet and tumble into the water. Luckily it was just the rail and nothing else of major importance though I wonder what caused it to seperate.

Last edited:
VampyreGTX said:
So the #4 jet of the Thunderbirds lost his left missle rail during on of the diamond formation flyby's. They immediately canceled the rest of the show and returned to Gary Airport safely. As they were coming in low and fast, you saw a white shiny object break off the wing of the #4 jet and tumble into the water. Luckily it was just the rail and nothing else of major importance though I wonder what caused it to seperate.

Well at least he didn't for get to set his altimeter....

I'm glad nobody was hurt. I imagine a missle pylon could do alot of damage at 500knts.

I was listening to the Thunderbird frequencies when it happened. The 4 ship formation was at show center when something flew off. No one had mentioned anything on the radio. About 5 minutes later, the ground controller for the Thunderbirds said that someone from the FAA told him that an object flew off. They terminated the show, split off in pairs and started circling and doing their "battle damage" checklists.

When I was a UPT stud at Columbus one of them lost his entire burner can during a pull up. He could only maintain a 700-800 fpm descent at full throttle. Another one joined on him - the guy flew it in...jumped into another one and took off to resume the show.

I saw the burner can come off at Columbus, MS also. It came off as he was killing the afterburner. Fire shot from all around it. I was watching it through a 210 mm camera lens and taking pictures. I don't know if I would have the intestinal fortitude to just immediately jump in another if my first one came apart.

Links to the news report which has a home video of it but it's not really worth watching for the debris (in the first video though the performance clips are great!)

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_232171527.html

Here's a much better view of the incident from another news station.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/082005_ns_airshow.html

If you watch this whole clip, love how they talk about the F-22 while showing the F/A-18.... though this is the first air show I believe that the F-22 made a flight during (not counting the superbowl flyby)

I was there on Friday and saw the practice show which was pretty much a full show with some practice maneuvers on the end. The #4 slot pilot was kind of sucking it up it seemed. I know his position is the toughest of the bunch and he needs to make a lot of corrections but he was constantly playing "catch-up" to the rest of the formation. It probably wasn't noticeable to most of the crowd though. IF they did touch it wouldnt surprise me, but I doubt that happened.

I've been sitting on my friends balcony, watching them all week. So far I have gone through 3 cases of beer myself since Wednesday.

Latest resources

Back