Thrust reversers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LAXSaabdude said:
Interesting. Completely the opposite at Eagle. Our ops are fairly strict about when we can use reverse. Runway less than 7000', or wet runway of any length, and then only at idle.

That's interesting. When I fly into places that have a lot of Eagle flights, I've noticed the buckets are rarely deployed, even at LGA. Are you saying y'all aren't even allowed to deploy them except in the above conditions?

aewanabe said:
That's interesting. When I fly into places that have a lot of Eagle flights, I've noticed the buckets are rarely deployed, even at LGA. Are you saying y'all aren't even allowed to deploy them except in the above conditions?
Yup, that's it. Like I say, though, I use them every time I am allowed. I was TDY one month in LGA, so every landing in LGA I deployed them.

Can't figure out why someone wouldn't at least open them when they are allowed! Just laziness, I guess, people get so used to landing on long dry runways, that when they actually are allowed to use them they just sort of forget about them. Force of habit.

LAXSaabdude.

On the E170 they strongly recommend that we use full reserve on every landing. One of the problems that Emb is trying to fix is the fact that 1 of the 4 brakes over heats all the time. Equal brake pressure is not applied to one of the brakes, therefor over heating it.

LAXSaabdude said:
Yup, that's it. Like I say, though, I use them every time I am allowed. I was TDY one month in LGA, so every landing in LGA I deployed them.

Can't figure out why someone wouldn't at least open them when they are allowed! Just laziness, I guess, people get so used to landing on long dry runways, that when they actually are allowed to use them they just sort of forget about them. Force of habit.

LAXSaabdude.

This is still my original question that really hasn't been answered in the three pages this thing has gone. Why doesn't your company want you using them????

CLECA said:
This is still my original question that really hasn't been answered in the three pages this thing has gone. Why doesn't your company want you using them????
There are microswitches that indicate whether the buckets are open or not. Apparently these are very high-wear items, and when the reversers are deployed frequently, they get misaligned, and it starts giving false "open" warnings on the EICAS. I guess in our early EMB days we had a lot of aborted takeoffs for this. I have about 1000 hours in the airplane now, and have never had any kind of reverse warnings.

LAXSaabdude.

On the Hawkers, the 700 operators have almost all removed them due to the weight/performance penalty. I don't know if the the ERJ's mentioned have the same issue.

As for deploment, on the XP's we always pop the buckets on touch but I've yet to need any more than that. The only aircraft we use them with power consistently is on the Hawker 1000 on short runways like HTO.

Last edited:
Thanks Raskal.

" Now Rabbit, A good cop does what before taking his equipment into the field?"

Latest resources

Back