• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thrust reversers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In my opinion, TRs are a useful EXTRA tool, but sometimes I have to remind FOs that we actually do have brakes, and we are allowed to use them at wheel spinup +3 seconds (FAR, FAR quicker to stop a plane than waiting for the engines to spool). Most FOs at XJET have been conditioned for excessive use/dependence on reversers. It's bad airmanship and I'm getting freakin' tired of having to fix problems that check airmen should be fixing. And no I don't want to be a check airman, not any more than I already am, anyway.

BigShotXJTdrvr said:
In my opinion, TRs are a useful EXTRA tool, but sometimes I have to remind FOs that we actually do have brakes, and we are allowed to use them at wheel spinup +3 seconds (FAR, FAR quicker to stop a plane than waiting for the engines to spool). Most FOs at XJET have been conditioned for excessive use/dependence on reversers. It's bad airmanship and I'm getting freakin' tired of having to fix problems that check airmen should be fixing. And no I don't want to be a check airman, not any more than I already am, anyway.

Brakes are VERY expensive to replace, I have no idea how much runway it takes upon landing for an ERJ, but unless necessary for operational considerations I don't understand what many people's hurry is to clear the runway. Remember, if you're "cleared to land" ATC has given you that pavement until you're done with it. I see just as many people frying the brakes just to satisfy their ego and make some predetermined taxiway...

Consistantly hitting the brakes at wheel spin-up + 3 sec. is very hard on the brakes. I would recommend a light application shortly after spin-up (just to verify that they are available) and then slow via TR's until somewhere after 90 KTS.

THIS IS NOT POOR AIRMANSHIP. Poor airmanship is some numb-nut that jumps all over the brakes right after touchdown throwing all of the passengers forward... I can't tell you how many times I've seen a perfectly smooth landing crapped all over by tossing the pax around by jumping all over the brakes...

Last edited:
I agree (as usual) with H25B. I generally try and brief the taxiway where I intend to clear the runway -- I think it is a good idea to at least consider the most efficient taxi-route to parking.

However...

That is not license to drop it on the numbers and use max braking to make a turnoff. Energy management is a lost art in aviation. Hold the nose off until it comes down of its own accord. Use reverse thrust as necessary. Reverse becomes less effective as speed decreases, so at an appropriate speed then smoothly apply the brakes. If you miss the taxiway... who cares?

If Delta has to go-around behind you, who cares? Go-arounds pay more than landings. As H25B stated the runway is yours. Don't loiter out there, but don't sacrifice smoothness and efficiency to try and assist ATC.

I always cringed in the DC9 when a pilot would go to full reverse and max braking as soon as the wheels were on the ground. The airplane slowed beautifully holding the nose in the air with just the buckets deployed in idle reverse (do not try in MD80s - might strike a bucket). We've all been riding as a passenger when a beautiful landing is ruined by someone plastering the customer's face into the seat-tray in front of them. Whats the rush?

Be an environmentalist....save a rubber -- er carbon fiber -- tree. :)

Last edited:
According to our latest revision, XJT recommends deploying the reversers, but only spooling them up if necessary for safety reasons. They want you to use the brakes instead, since heating them up wears the carbon brakes less.

Apparently when they warm up this film forms that reduces wear. I know, sounds weird but that's what Embraer says.

purduedchi said:
TR's can be used in the calculations of take-off performance. They are never used for calculations when it comes to landings. I have found this out due to numerous amounts of research at my company. On our 145's with thrust reversers, you may defer 1, and only one thrust reverser at a time. Most who fly the airplane understand Qty inst...2, num req 1. However, we also have a s#%tload of european ones that have no thrust reversers. How is it that we can fly some of the same airplanes with no thrust reverser, but other we must have one operational. I was told that you have to account for the worst case scenario. Basically, the reason you can defer one and only one if it is installed is because if you have an egine failure before V1(accelerate stop), you will have the the operating engine AND it's reverser available too you. They did give us some guidance as far as part 25 certification, but I can't find it right now, if I do, I'll post it for you

Hmmm, how do you arrange things so that the failing engine on Take-off is not the one with the operative reverser?
~DC

michael707767 said:
I have never heard of an airplane being certified with TRs. As 91,100 said, if you need to stop during takeoff, its likely to be because of an engine failure. I have never flown an aircraft that was certified with TRs, have asked the question everytime.

Could this be because the aircraft you fly were certified in the early 80s at the latest? I'd need to look it up, but I believe there were some changes to part 25 in the mid-nineties, and this may have been one of them.

I don't have my FAR FC handy, but to paraphrase, under part 25 for wet accelerate-stop distance ONLY, there is a section that says "a manufacturor may make allowance for accelerate-stop distance using means other than wheel brakes, so long as no extraordinary pilot skill is required to use these means" or words to that effect. In the Embraer specifically, the basic accelerate-stop calculations were applied with TRs in idle reverse, again for wet runways only. This does not apply to dry runway takeoffs, landings, or anything else. Thus for a given runway, if accelerate-stop distance is a limiting factor for our performance, we have a small wet-runway only performance hit that is applied to the airplanes with no TRs.

As far as stopping technique generally, again it is a little unique to this airplane. No one advocates stomping the binders at spin-up plus 3 seconds, but both the manufacturor and company want us starting with a gentle application, then increasing as needed, to heat the carbon brakes soon after touchdown. Holding the nose off for long just guarantees it will de-rotate itself with an emphasis after the elevator runs out of authority. As far as the TRs go, deploying them in idle is actually pretty helpful. Not only do you get the bucket drag, but those allisons put out a decent amount of residual thrust at idle. It's just not that useful to spool the suckers most of the time.

pianoman said:
According to our latest revision, XJT recommends deploying the reversers, but only spooling them up if necessary for safety reasons. They want you to use the brakes instead, since heating them up wears the carbon brakes less.

Apparently when they warm up this film forms that reduces wear. I know, sounds weird but that's what Embraer says.

I pretty much follow this guidance. Reversers out on every landing, but only spooled on contaminated runways and in very gusty conditions. The brakes do a great job, except in the ERJs :rolleyes: where the temps go through the roof. LRJs, XRJs, no problem. The only people that have issues with the brakes are the lead-foots who mash on them like there is only "off" and "on" settings.

pianoman said:

same deal from the mesa Embraer rep. stomp on the brakes on landing to heat them up then release and apply pressure. a few hundred bucks in brakes is still alot cheaper then a few hundred grand for a new engine after it sucks up a few rocks...

BigShotXJTdrvr said:
Most FOs at XJET have been conditioned for excessive use/dependence on reversers.
Interesting. Completely the opposite at Eagle. Our ops are fairly strict about when we can use reverse. Runway less than 7000', or wet runway of any length, and then only at idle.

Can't tell you the number of times it's been the FOs leg going into SNA or SBP, or landing on a wet runway, when they never even touch reverse, and go right for the brakes. Had a guy almost slide us off the edge of a wet runway when he got right on the brakes after landing, I had to take it from him.

My policy is to use T/Rs EVERY TIME I am allowed. Much smoother and less jarring then using the brakes, and much safer on a wet runway.

LAXSaabdude.

Latest resources

Back