• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thrust Reversers out while taxiing???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They probably think they are flying the E170, I hear that thing has more power than any other airline pilot can handle.

What's up with the CHQ crj's in IAH taxiing with TR's deployed? Is that not against company op's?

Didn't you get the memo? TR's deployed is just a sly way to "flip-off" other crews. You can't actually give the "finger" incase a passenger sees you, so you deploy the TR's as a sign. CHQ pilots must not like you. That's all.

Didn't you get the memo? TR's deployed is just a sly way to "flip-off" other crews. You can't actually give the "finger" incase a passenger sees you, so you deploy the TR's as a sign. CHQ pilots must not like you. That's all.

dammit now the secret's out

From what I understand there are several different "grades" of reversers available on the jungle jet. The lower end were not made to withstand max reverse multiple times per day. It's also my understanding that most thrust settings in between idle and max while in reverse produce large levels of vibration that have been known to cause stress cracking on the reverser mechanism.
I would like to know if this is true. If it is, it was pushed of the drawing board way too fast, IMHO

I think some people do it so they aren't riding the brakes on the taxi, others just like to fiddle with things.

They probably think they are flying the E170, I hear that thing has more power than any other airline pilot can handle.
Only the quatauquian could harness the awesome power...

At Air Wiskey we had to have the reversers stowed below a certain speed - it's been a while so I don't recall exactly - I believe it was 60 knots. They told us it was because the angle at which the reversers deflect the air can kick up debris into the inlet below that speed. They even showed several examples in class. Oh and idle reverse only on dry runways longer than 6500 feet.

Last edited:
It's a tool to be used. Why would they ever be on the airplane if they weren't to be used at all. I usually deploy the buckets but don't spool unless it's wet, slippery, short runway, etc. No need to waste the fuel and decel quicker on a 10000 foot runway unless someone is close in behind and you need to get off at a certain taxiway.

Latest resources

Back