• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thrust Reversers out while taxiing???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I saw a CHQ CRJ pulling up to the gate with the left TR deployed and then stowed it just as they were pulling to a stop.

That seems like a bit of a distraction at that point and not very necessary. I mean, are the brakes going to overheat because you use them to stop at the gate?? Whatever, I don't really care anyway...

I saw a CHQ CRJ pulling up to the gate with the left TR deployed and then stowed it just as they were pulling to a stop.

That seems like a bit of a distraction at that point and not very necessary. I mean, are the brakes going to overheat because you use them to stop at the gate?? Whatever, I don't really care anyway...

Snapping a lever back down is a distraction? I wouldn't think any more so than increasing thrust a little if you're too slow pulling into the gate.

XJT and CAL use idle reverse. You dont even hear the bucket come out or the engine go into reverse. We use brakes. It save the company money on fuel and engine maintenance. But if you had to use full reverse go right ahead, nothing prohibiting you from doing so.

What's the deal with no deployment on landing? I've ridden in the back of some of these POS ERJ, and they don't even pop 'em. What's the deal?

I've heard Eagle inhibits their use to save fuel, fewer T/R write-ups, and less brake wear. Use is prohibited on dry runways greater than 7000'; Idle may be used on RWYs less than 7000' or BA reported as "Good"; Max used on BA reported "Fair or Poor" or for performance reasons.

Last edited:
At Air Wiskey we had to have the reversers stowed below a certain speed - it's been a while so I don't recall exactly - I believe it was 60 knots. They told us it was because the angle at which the reversers deflect the air can kick up debris into the inlet below that speed. They even showed several examples in class. Oh and idle reverse only on dry runways longer than 6500 feet.
It depends on the aircraft. Some are authorized for backing up the aircraft even. I've seen many a C-17 do this.

I think some people do it so they aren't riding the brakes on the taxi, others just like to fiddle with things.

I'd classify myself as a "fiddler" too.....I like to go into Beta, out of Beta, into Beta, out of Beta, etc when im taxiing......I'm just an exciting person in general, and that rubs off on my lever movements in the cockpit. :D

They open the buckets on taxi to cool the brakes with the bypass air....lol

You laugh, but it works. (I mean, that's what I've heard.)

I've heard Eagle inhibits their use to save fuel, fewer T/R write-ups, and less brake wear. Use is prohibited on dry runways greater than 7000'; Idle may be used on RWYs less than 7000' or BA reported as "Good"; Max used on BA reported "Fair or Poor" or for performance reasons.

The reversers themselves are not inhibited, but we're not supposed to use them unless the situation is as posted above. Another situation would be in the case of aborted takeoff or we feel we're about to leave the runway.

Latest resources

Back