Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

B1900FO

Hey all!

Lets talk technique since the many responses can be interesting and very informative...

The use of thrust reverse always stirs up controversey but here's how I go about it:

As soon as the mains are on I pick up the levers and wait for the "6 lights," irregardless of whether or not the nose is in the air. I slowly fly the nose wheel onto the ground and tap the brakes lightly to make sure they are there. I'm not a fan of using a lot of reverse, though, mainly because it's loud and uncomfortable for the passengers. With that being said, a few of the short runways I have flown into in the Citation, the reverse thrust was certainly nice to have. I would rather go into full reverse and be light on the brakes than to go heavy on the brakes and have no reverse at all. Although, the brakes on the C501 always amaze me.

In smaller a/c, thrust reverse just boosts pilot ego, and its fun!

Comment all you like!!!

Hey all!

Lets talk technique since the many responses can be interesting and very informative...

The use of thrust reverse always stirs up controversey but here's how I go about it:

As soon as the mains are on I pick up the levers and wait for the "6 lights," irregardless of whether or not the nose is in the air. I slowly fly the nose wheel onto the ground and tap the brakes lightly to make sure they are there. I'm not a fan of using a lot of reverse, though, mainly because it's loud and uncomfortable for the passengers. With that being said, a few of the short runways I have flown into in the Citation, the reverse thrust was certainly nice to have. I would rather go into full reverse and be light on the brakes than to go heavy on the brakes and have no reverse at all. Although, the brakes on the C501 always amaze me.

In smaller a/c, thrust reverse just boosts pilot ego, and its fun!

Comment all you like!!!

Thats the way we do it in the Beechjet. For the Citation though, I always wanted the nose on the ground.

In the Hawker, one puts all of the wheels on, deploy Lift Dump, then use T.R.s. It not only works well, this is what the book says to do.
On passenger comfort, I always use speed brakes and T.R.s whenever I want to. Not one passenger has ever complained.........only other pilots.

We don't pop the TR's in the Ultra until the nose is on the ground because of the amount of nose gear collpases that have happened. Now granted we do more cycles in a month than most flight departments in a year but the reasoning is still sound.

According to cessna when the TR's unlock and deploy there is a hydraulic spike that can actually unlock the nosegear. They changed the way we do things and wait till the nosewheel is on the ground and then pop the TR's. Nose wheel collapses went to 0.

The Lear 60 requires the nose gear to be on the ground before deployment. Never had a passenger complain about the use of them. Why would they. I think they would like to know that the airplane is stopping, and they know very well that they are on an airplane, and are expecting certain sounds coming from it.

There are ways to use them and be smooth about it.

I think it is better technique to put all three gear on the ground.

One reason is to help maintain directional control in the event of 1 deployed TR. I've never heard of it happening, but apparently it is possible for 1 TR to deploy and then increase power as if both TR's where deployed and in use. The added directional control provided by the nose wheel is of great help in that event.

Of course, it maybe more likely that you could cause a TR enduced nose pitch up if the nose wheel is still elevated. Especially in a Citation, Lear or any aircraft with the power plants on the fuselage and aft and above the wings.

The Lear 60 requires the nose gear to be on the ground before deployment. Never had a passenger complain about the use of them. Why would they. I think they would like to know that the airplane is stopping, and they know very well that they are on an airplane, and are expecting certain sounds coming from it.

There are ways to use them and be smooth about it.

Some owners (Like Mine) do not like the noise and shake. He knows I will use them if I need to and never complains.

I imagine the bigger the airplane and the further aft they are the less offensive they are.

I know the Astra shakes really bad.

I think it is better technique to put all three gear on the ground.

One reason is to help maintain directional control in the event of 1 deployed TR. I've never heard of it happening, but apparently it is possible for 1 TR to deploy and then increase power as if both TR's where deployed and in use. The added directional control provided by the nose wheel is of great help in that event.

Of course, it maybe more likely that you could cause a TR enduced nose pitch up if the nose wheel is still elevated. Especially in a Citation, Lear or any aircraft with the power plants on the fuselage and aft and above the wings.

I have had one deploy several times in the Beechjet, and as long as you do not spool it up, it will not even leave the centerline. I believe it is more critical in the Citation.

Note from the maintenance room:
The use of aircraft brakes -vs- thrust reversers from the mechanic's side is, use which ever cost less to replace (labor and material).
Brakes - the more expensive of the two are more likely to be replaced more often. Easier to replace. In some instances you can get a pro-rated replacement.
Thrust reversers (clam shell and vectored thrust) in most cases are more time consuming to inspect and replace parts on. Mostly bushings need to be replaced and they are in very difficult places to access. Some aircraft with clam shell T/Rs have NDT requirement on the connecting rods and/or are a life limited part that will have to be replaced any way.

I have made more money for the company working on T/Rs (labor) than I have changing brakes. (parts being more expensive here).

Bottom line...how do you want to spend the money?

In the Citation Ultra there is a AFM supplement that says something about not deploying until all 3 wheels are on the ground, I would probably go with that.

My personal opinion is that the T/R's aren't that effective on the citation anyway. I have experimented on long runways with applying max thrust and nothing really fantastic happens because if you land on speed you are already going fairly slow anyway.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back