• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
More questions...

What kind of performance do they get, as in:
Fuel burn (typical cruise)?
SE Climb (ISA? 5000'?)
SE Handling?
Endurance?
How much crap can they haul with one pilot and VFR reserves?
Takeoff and landing distance?
Cruise (TAS)?

Is 70k for a known ice, no GPS, autopilot equipped Aztec asking too much?
How much is mx going to run? Annual?
Insurance?
Are they single pilot friendly?

Think that's it for now. Any help would be great...estimates are fine for the performance stuff...don't worry about lookin' anything up, I'm just looking for general numbers. Thanks!

-mini

bigD said:
You thinking of buying one, mini?

Depends...I'm close to 135 VFR mins, so...maybe. I might have a few in's with the electric company to transport some big-wigs to meetings and such. Plus taking linemen back and forth to disaster areas. I was asked yesterday if I could take 4 guys to NO. I guess they want to see how many guys/trucks they need to take down there and the local charter prices are out of their price range (king air's/lears).

For 70k, I might be able to talk my wife into it...just looking for some specifics.

-mini

*edit*
Plus, if I can add the MEI on, I can probably get 5-6 other guys to go in with me if I give free initial multi-instruction to owners. Then just use photo flights, traffic (I know a few people at the radio stations), rubber dog sh!t flights, etc. as a way to help offset mx, hangar, insurance, etc.

Last edited:
They don't call the Aztec the "Aztruck" for nothing! From my understanding will haul everything including ice, easy to fly. Only have a little time in them including a bit of ice. Considering that the original design was based on the rather underwhelming Apache it's quite an improvement.

The 310 is a great aircraft as well but is very different. I got my MEL in the 310 and my instructors would say that if you can land a 310 you can land anything.

The 310 speaks big airplane, it sits high on the gear and seems very substantial. It flys and behaves like a bigger plane. If you are stepping up from a 172 or similar aircraft you will have fun as you enter the pattern downwind at about 120 Kts, that's faster than what the 172 cruises at! Some do not like the way the 310 flys as it has a pronounced dutch roll that many people complain about. I would say that the Baron has a bit more harmonious control response, but you are constantly rubbing elbows with whomever you sitting next to or banging you head on the upper side wall. The 310 has a much nicer cabin. I have flown both the short snout and long snouted models. Personally I never saw what the big deal was in landing any of the 310's.

The earlier model 310's I believe were 240 HP pressure carb O-470's. Later models have a fuel injected IO-470 260 HP engine. The R models have IO-520 285 HP engines. They will drink more fuel and have some cracking problems from what I have heard. My favorite model is the 310Q, the last model with the IO-470's.

The Aztec and 310 are a few of the light twins that were from the beginning designed as such. Many others light twins are basically single aircraft that have be "twinned" like the Travelair, Baron, Seminole, Seneca, Twin Comanche, Dutchess.

One of the most interesting design concepts that I have seen is that the basic Bonanza wing section has been used in nearly the entire later Beech line. You can see it in everything from the Bonanza, Baron, King Air and the 1900.

Oh well, so much for discussion on the Aztec!

Last edited:
"The R models have IO-520 285 HP engines. They will drink more fuel and have some cracking problems from what I have heard. My favorite model is the 310Q, the last model with the IO-470's."

And they have some exaust problems too.

I think every airplane built has "something".

I was in the market looking for a T310Q/R, when I came across a deal for a C340 that was too good to pass up. I liked the looks of the R model with that long nose (still think it's nicer looking than mine), but the later model Q's do just about everything the R's do for alot less money.

I never really considered a Baron, even though I'd flown and loved my Bonanza for almost 20 years. Their price tags were too high for what you got (elbow to elbow and low ceilings as previously written).

If you're looking for a cheap twin to haul heavy loads and don't mind burning 30gph for 160 kts, the Aztek is the better deal over the 310.

If you can find a decent one for 70K....that's a great price. A decent 310 will be almost twice that for the earlier models and nearly 3x that for a later model R.

I'm not sure that it's quite 30gph, Jim. I remember it being more like 25. But regardless, like you said, it's a good amount of gas for 160 knots or so. But that's the price you pay to be able to fill it with gas, carry six and all their luggage, and still be under gross.

I never flew one with long range tanks, but even with 192 gallons of gas, you can still fill the thing with people, a bunch of bags, and be under gross. That's amazing. And the cabin is huge and comfortable. I really like the Aztec.

I flew around with a crazy doctor in an Aztec for a while. It's a good plane. You are looking at 165Kts and 26-30 GPH. I also did a guy's multi rating in his Aztec. As far as weight and ballance goes I remember the example we used was full seats @ 170 Lbs. full baggage (300 Lbs) and as much fuel as you could carry. I think we would have had to leave out 4 gallons (140 Gal total). Just on a side note. I think the Aztec is to official bird of the Bahamas.

Mini, you really need to find an a/p or a/i who's familiar with them and get a list of things to check out. Systems, fuel bladders, prop ADs, airframe ADs, etc. New bladders, a couple props, and some ADs not documented could cost you another $25K easy...

IMHO an Aztec is a (now old) pick up truck. Not very fast, not very sexy, but it will haul a bunch of stuff and prople for short distances. How economical it is will take some home work to decide. Remember they are 40 years old. Like any fourty year old pick up the up keep may be more than it is worth. Before you by one to haul big wigs around, they may want THEM take a look at what you have to see if they want to fly in an Aztec.

Good luck in your venture.

Remember: The way to make a small fortune in aviation is to start with a big one.....

JAFI

I owned a number of them. The Baron and Cessna 310 were good airplanes and maybe a better pilot's aircraft, however, the Aztec was a great terrific family aircraft. As stated, it can haul not only the weight but the dimensions as well. Try putting some golf clubs and people in a Baron versus the Aztec. Good engines, reasonable speed, can carry the ice that is advertised, and maintains as good as anything.

Latest resources

Back