• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thoughts on the Aztec?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I like it. I used it for my complex requirement for commercial and multi. I flew the E model (1971). I was operating out of a 3500 by 35 foot strip. I went from warrior, 150, to that. It was a handful. But anyway, it feels good, and landings seem very easy in it. I have not flown another twin, so I guess i cant be much help. I was going to either fly a 310 or aztec, per suggestions from this board I chose the aztec. Hope that helps a tad.

Flys like a big Cherokee. I used to fly freight in them over the Great Lakes. They'll haul a load of boxes for a long time, but you won't go far! Kind of slow and lumbering, but pretty easy to fly.

I flew bank checks with them. Loved the airplane, it could haul a bunch of ice, and then get you home for a few beers. If I could afford the fuel I would probably buy one. That is the down side of them, they are thirsty. As we would say, they may be slow and ougly, but they burn alot of gas.

"I flew bank checks with them. Loved the airplane, it could haul a bunch of ice, and then get you home for a few beers...."

I've been told that by more than one Aztec pilot. Never wanted to try it myself. I have this aversion to ice.

I've flown one once.

If you're thinking of buying a twin of this class, I'd consider the C310 first. It's just a much better quality airplane.

I don't think the 310 has the useful load as the Aztec, but you'll get there alot faster, burn less fuel.... and it's alot more fun to fly.

I'd consider the 310 to be a different class of airplane, personally. Are you sure it burns less fuel? I thought the 310 had bigger engines.

The Aztec is a great airplane, and one I'd look to buy given the money. The cabin is cavernous.

Aztec is a good, safe twin. Not too sexy, but it's a good honest airplane. I love 310's but they can be a little more unforgiving and the maintenance costs can be much higher.

bigD said:
I'd consider the 310 to be a different class of airplane, personally. Are you sure it burns less fuel? I thought the 310 had bigger engines.

The Aztec is a great airplane, and one I'd look to buy given the money. The cabin is cavernous.

The 310's have 285's. I think they're a little bigger than the Aztek's, but airspeed is probably 30+ kts faster, so it will take less getting there was my theory.

I assume you mean 285hp per side. The newer 310's had IO-520s. The older models had 470s. I recommend the R-model 310. Newer and easier to land with the longer nose.

Latest resources

Back