• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Those guys were good

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There's got to be more to this story. The media never gets aviation stories correct. Maybe there was a control degradation, or they were on standby instruments, something like that...

Anything dealing with controls or avionics seems to be labeled as an "autopilot" problem by the media.

OR, maybe the autopilot actually failed and the guys landed the airplane using stick and rudder and now the media may go on a "Is the autopilot in your airplane really safe?" agenda and people will actually be glad they have two humans sitting up there "watching the autopilot." ;)

What is an auto-pilot? We used to have a pilot named Otto, but he got hired a SWA

pilotyip said:
What is an auto-pilot? We used to have a pilot named Otto, but he got hired a SWA

Did he have a college degree? ;)

No college degree, like I have said before SWA does not let the absense of a 4-yr degree stand in the way of hiring the right pilot.

PCL_128 said:
Did he have a college degree? ;)

A pHd in philosophy. But, since they closed down the philosophy plant, he went to Willow Run and got job flying jets for $100K/yr. :D

I think the article mentioned something about the ASI and incorrect readings being fed into the AP. Perhaps this is an emeregency as I can't imagine hand flying the 767 for hours on end while trying to complete all of the other flight chores enroute and arrival. It may have diverted due to this reason, but this was probably interpreted as an emergency by the media.

Latest resources

Back