Those guys were good

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skydan

I knew those guys were good, but holy shitson, I didn't know they were THAT good!
ANA jet lands manually after autopilot fails

OSAKA -- An All Nippon Airways (ANA) passenger jet bound for Itami Airport in Hyogo Prefecture was forced to land using manual controls on Saturday after its autopilot system failed, officials said.

Airline officials said the problem occurred on ANA Flight 502 as the Boeing 767-300 aircraft was traveling between Miyazaki and Itami on Saturday morning.
The jet reportedly contacted the air traffic control tower at Kansai International Airport at about 8:45 a.m. on Saturday, saying, "We've lost control of the autopilot."

The pilot switched over to manual controls and made an emergency landing at Itami Airport about 10 minutes later. None of the 155 passengers and crewmembers on board were injured.
ANA officials said that the autopilot stopped responding accurately while the aircraft was in flight. Although the plane was forced to make an emergency landing, there were reportedly no problems with the flight or landing after the pilot started using the manual controls.

Land, Infrastructure and Transport officials at Itami Airport said a problem was found with the plane's speed indicator after it landed. They are continuing to investigate the incident. (Mainichi)

Considering these guys only get a couple of landings a month, it probably was an emergency to them!!!

:)

-TC

Could they have meant that they landed using manual reversion after a hydraulic flight control system failure?

ANy 767 drivers care to comment?

no manual reversion on B757/767 aircraft. 3 systems with lots of backup pumps.

like the DC-10 backup systems? Anybody tell Capt. Haynes that?

History shows again and again, how nature points up the folly of men...

Rinji news o moshiagemasu!
Rinji news o moshiagemasu!
Godzilla ga ginza hoomen e mukatte imasu!
Daishkyu hinan shite kudasai!
Daishkyu hinan shite kudasai!

SWA/FO said:

No. A little different. :rolleyes: You'll understand when I fall back on my MD80 experience when I comment on a technical question about the 737...

Anyone here ever hear of a 767 with flight control problems? This was probably just another case of media hysteria (and a little flight crew hysteria...). I guess for some people an A/P failure IS an emergency proceedure. TC

SWA/FO said:
He spoke at a seminar here....some people asked the dumbest fucking questions. "Did United see you as a risk after this accident?".

I wanted to jump up and kick that person in the face.

I just remember UAL MX control talking with Capt. Haynes on the radio, saying "that impossible" - something to that effect.

It may sound stupid, but any pilot who is involved in an airline accident is a liability regardless is the did the right thing and saved the day. Lawsuits, Lawsuits, Lawsuits.

Latest resources

Back