Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Those darn regional pilots overflew MSP!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

buscap

A Northwest Airlines crew that has told authorities it was engaged in "a heated discussion over airline policy" is now the subject of a federal investigation, after the A320 they were flying stopped communicating with ground control Wednesday night and flew 150 miles past its destination — Minnneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.

Northwest flight 188, arriving from San Diego, was carrying 144 passengers and five crew and was supposed to arrive just before 8 p.m. Wednesday.

The plane overflew Minneapolis-St. Paul at 7:58 p.m. and continued about 150 miles northeast. An air traffic controller reestablished contact with the plane at 8:14 p.m.

A release from the National Transportation Safety Board today said that the crew reportedly stated they had become distracted, had overflown the airport and requested to return to the airport.

The plane landed safely at Minneapolis-St. Paul just after 9 p.m. It was greeted at the gate by airport police, who boarded the plane to make sure the loss of radio contact wasn't the result of criminal activity, said Patrick Hogan, an airport spokesman.

Later, FBI and airport police interviewed the crew. The crew then told of their "heated discussion" and said that they had "lost situational awareness," according to the NTSB.

The cockpit voice recorder and flight date recorder from the flight are being sent to an NTSB laboratory in Washington D.C.

The pilots have been "relieved from active flying" while the

investigation continues, a Delta Air Lines spokesman said. Delta is the parent company of Northwest.
"The safety of our passengers and crew is our top priority," Delta said in a prepared statement. "We are cooperating with the FAA and NTSB in their investigation as well as conducting our own internal investigation."

Damn RJs!!!!

Those guys are just not qualified! (At least they eventually landed where they were supposed to!)

If they find that either pilot is a former regional pilot, the media....THE MEDIA, will fry him. I can see it now. "He's a former regional pilot who hasn't yet gained the skills of a major airline pilot".

Anyone know if this A320 is in Delta colors yet? I'm sure DAL mgnt is stressing very hard that it was a NWA crew. Two foul ups in the same day is a sign of ill trained pilots. I bet niether FO had thier ATP either. If they had, this would have never happened! :D

Last edited:
2 open jobs....

I just wrote my congressman. Surely we need some legislation on this!!??

These inexperienced regional pilots can't be permitted to tool around, endangering the flying public. My gosh!! What will we do?

I guess it's back to an ATP and moon landing to get hired!!!

Those darn regional pilots!!

Next thing you know, they'll be landing on taxiways!!!!

I'll never fly on a regional jet...you can bet on that!!!

C'mon!!!

How bout some freakin stars here???

You can't buy this!!!

Latest resources

Back