• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

This will have a negative impact on affirmative action hiring at the majors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This whole argument is about sotomayor's "win/loss" record in the supreme court is the most ridicules thing i've seen concerning a supreme court nominee. This is an argument that could only be perpetuated by the ignorant media, those with a political motive, and those too intellectualy lazy to actually go and learn about the process themselves. I am a staunch conservative when it comes to SCOTUS cases, and the thought of another liberal nut on the supreme court scares me, however, if you are going to argue against her at least make it legit and well reasoned.

First off, in this Hartford fire fighters case, the only thing it shows is that the court is still sharply divided and leaning conservative. This was a 5-4 decision, a decision that is hardly a smack-down of her legal reasoning. In fact four current supreme court justices agreed with her.

Contrast this 5-4 ruling with the 8-1 smack-down given to the Arizona school that thought it was okay to search a little girls panties for Advil. What were the margins for the other cases that were overturned?

Although I am happy with the composition of the court at present and hope it doesn't change, this is the Constitution at work. Conservatives screwed up big time and lost there power. Now the people in power get to shape the court to there liking just as the conservatives got to shape the court how they wanted. The fact that the court will be more liberal at the end of all this is almost inevitable...the only question is how large the shift will be. That will depend on Kennedy, Alito, Roberts, Scalia, and Thomas's ability to keep themselves alive/unretired and how long liberals retain there absolute-power.

NO JOKE. After reviewing a few pages of Brown's past posts, it is clear that he is indeed a minority, and has a history of spelling issues. I do not believe that his posts were a joke. See for yourselves.

That needs to be tempered by having the best minority pilots on the flight deck and giving them FARE chance to sucseed.

Sorry, I disagree. If he can't compete with the best white candidate that is life. The passengers do not care about fare chances, they want to live.

Flamebaiting troll: 1
Noobs: 0

That needs to be tempered by having the best minority pilots on the flight deck and giving them FARE chance to sucseed.

This is just about the dumbest thing with the most spelling errors I have ever read. Equal means all the same. Not lower the bar for some and raise it for others.

However after reading this post again, you have to be joking right.

This whole argument is about sotomayor's "win/loss" record in the supreme court is the most ridicules thing i've seen concerning a supreme court nominee. This is an argument that could only be perpetuated by the ignorant media, those with a political motive, and those too intellectualy lazy to actually go and learn about the process themselves. I am a staunch conservative when it comes to SCOTUS cases, and the thought of another liberal nut on the supreme court scares me, however, if you are going to argue against her at least make it legit and well reasoned.

Contrast this 5-4 ruling with the 8-1 smack-down given to the Arizona school that thought it was okay to search a little girls panties for Advil. What were the margins for the other cases that were overturned?

Glad you asked. Here goes (from Newsweek fact check):
One was a 5-4 decision in 2001 in Correctional Services Corporation v. Malesko, which involved an inmate who sought to sue a private contractor operating a halfway house on behalf of the Bureau of Prisons over injuries he sustained. Sotomayor said he could, but a majority of the justices disagreed.

[I see what you mean about the close calls....let's continue.....]

In another case, Sotomayor wrote that under the Clean Water Act, the Environmental Protection Agency could not use a cost-benefit analysis to determine the best technology available for drawing cooling water into power plants with minimal impact on aquatic life. By a vote of 6-3 this year, the Supreme Court ruled otherwise in Entergy v. Riverkeeper.

[That margin was a little wider....what else?]

The third reversal, in 2005, was a unanimous 8-0 decision in the case Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith, Inc. v. Dabit.Sotomayor had written that a class action securities suit brought in state court by a broker/stockholder was not preempted by the 1998 Securities Litigation Uniform Standards Act. But the high court's opinion said it "would be odd, to say the least" if the law contained the exception that Sotomayor said it did.

[Does that constitute a smackdown?]

One other bit about the significance (or non-significance) of her now 67% reversal rate at the Supreme Court level - again from Newsweek fact check)

In any case, [67] percent of the cases the Supreme Court has reviewed is not a particularly high number. In any given term, the Supreme Court normally reverses a higher percentage of the cases it hears. During its 2006-2007 term, for instance, the Court reversed or vacated (which, for our purposes here, mean the same thing) 68 percent of the cases before it. The rate was 73.6 percent the previous term.

To me that sounds like she is in the ballpark for any judge. There are reasons to be concerned about her nomination. I don't think her reversal rate at the Supreme Court is one of them.

I want the best pilots flying my family.....not the 'best minority' pilot. You are an f'n disgrace to minority pilots.

Last edited:
Reality Check...

NO JOKE. After reviewing a few pages of Brown's past posts, it is clear that he is indeed a minority, and has a history of spelling issues. I do not believe that his posts were a joke. See for yourselves.

Your briefs are on too tight, dude. BROWN is a FLAMER and he's NOT BLACK. He tries to give minorites a bad name. All of his posts are similar because that is the persona of "Browntothebone." Am I the only one who realizes this? :confused:

I enjoy the humor just the same and it's highly evident that others possibly realize this too, yet play along with the charade and proceed to voice their genuinely hostile (racist) opinions of minorities as BROWN has provided them a legitimate excuse to reprimand [him] this so-called minority....

Sorry to out you brown, but you've strung along way too many people with this topic in multiple threads. The lack of common sense or jugment by others is incredible. I can only guess that everyone is aware of the cahrade and actually playing along. Seriously.

Hook, Line, and Sinka!

Have to agree this brownbone fella is nothin but a personality made for the board.

FlameON!

but... incase he isn't... brownbone you are a poor, sad and undeserving example of many outstanding minority pilots that i have flown with.

Latest resources

Back