• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

This will have a negative impact on affirmative action hiring at the majors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is exactly what I am saying and it is FAR from meaningless. It means 6 cases in which she ruled were deemed important enough for the Supreme Court to hear (contrary to popular belief, they don't agree to hear very many cases each term). And she was reversed TWO-THIRDS of the time her decisions were heard by the highest court in the land. I'd rather not have a Supreme Court justice that is WRONG TWO-THIRDS of the time on EXACTLY the kinds of cases she will be hearing seated on the Supreme Court bench.

You might be on to something here...I've never thought about it that way to be honest.

I still havent made up my mind about her yet even though I'm a hardcore liberal.

I'll just have to wait and see...

Andy, we don't know how many times she was reversed on Federal Appeals Court decisions before she ascended to the Circuit Court of Appeals (one step below the SC as you know) in other cases that never made it to the Supreme Court. Haven't seen that number published but I'd be willing to wager THAT number is pretty large too.

You guys are too funny... if you haven't figured it out yet, Brown is one of the BETTER flame baiters out there. Much better than InstructorDude, more subtle, lures more people in before he finally goes SO far that you FINALLY realize he's been baiting you all along...

Too funny...

Andy, we don't know how many times she was reversed on Federal Appeals Court decisions before she ascended to the Circuit Court of Appeals (one step below the SC as you know) in other cases that never made it to the Supreme Court. Haven't seen that number published but I'd be willing to wager THAT number is pretty large too.

You're right.
We don't know how many times she was reversed at the appellate level before she got to the court of appeals and that reversal was not later reversed by the Supreme Court.

I would not be willing to state that any federal judge has "a pretty large number" of cases overturned on appeal. What's your wager and what is pretty large?

Do you know, as has been stated very surely here, that she has the worst record on reversals at the Supreme Court? If so, how?
Who has the second worst record?

I'm going on the presumption, as our legal system itself does, that a decision that is not overturned on appeal is a valid decision. That's why they are cited by other courts in making their own decisions.

I'm asking you to do some independent thought here. I assure you I will not be posting off of any group's briefing points. There are enough concerns about Judge Sotomayor's fitness for the Supreme Court without delving into speculation. Let's stick to the best facts we can find.

Just to stir the pot, how about the fact she is a catholic? She may meet the woman and Latino minority profiling but religious is another story. If confirmed, 6 of the 9 justices will be catholic, while 25% of Americans are catholic. There is no question that catholic schools and universities provide some excellent education in all corners of the country, and produce an outsize percentage of lawyers (and judges)- but that still doesn't seem to level the field. After all, you do not have to be catholic to attend these schools.

The clergy is not the flock, but...it seems that an organization that actively protected their own staff who was guilty of child molestation, rape and abuse of the power for hundreds of years to the degree that the catholic church has might not need to be quite so well represented on the highest court in the land,

Disclaimer - raised catholic save the wailing.

Just curious...

Can anyone familiar with this case tell me if those denied promotion - failed the exam - ever file a discrimination suit? It seems if the test were so slanted as to allow only Whites and Hispanics to pass, the test must clearly favor one group over the other.

Thank god this only took three pages for someone to say it. I can't believe how many people think this guy is actually a minority.

Brown=not a pilot
Brown=not a minority
Brown=flame only
Brown=STHU

Let me add. He is obviously a racist white guy attempting to incite race hatred.

I can't think of a reason other than a small d%$# that would make someone act like that. What a f&^%%$ retard.

Can anyone familiar with this case tell me if those denied promotion - failed the exam - ever file a discrimination suit? It seems if the test were so slanted as to allow only Whites and Hispanics to pass, the test must clearly favor one group over the other.
There has not been any mention that the test was racially slanted. The city claimed that there very fact that there was such disparity in the results, there were Title VII grounds to think that there may have been unintentional racial discrimination. That erroneous claim also held by the district and appellate courts was straightened out in todays decision.

The city paid big bucks ($100,000) to design a racially neutral test. The contractor received input on the duties of captains and lieutenants from New Haven captains and lieutenants. They even oversampled that survey from minorities to ensure there would be no negative impact on minorities. The contractor also ensured that those who would do the oral evaluations had one white, one hispanic, and one black who were all from out of state on each of the 9 evaluation teams. Since the hispanics and blacks each represented less than 33% of the tested population, this also was not discriminatory against the minorities. Test questions were vetted with experts outside of Connecticutt. The only thing racially skewed with this test were the results.

Had the city used the test results and blacks sued them, the city would have had an easily defensible position. The city made every effort to create a racially neutral exam and the exam was job related. Anyone suing would have not had a legal leg to stand on.

On the other hand, because the city elected not to use the exam only because of the racially skewed results, they committed an act of racial discrimination not allowed by Title VII of the Equal Opportunity Employment Act. All the Supreme Court had to do was cite what Title VII really says.

Last edited:
That needs to be tempered by having the best minority pilots on the flight deck and giving them FARE chance to sucseed.

Wow, you are an idiot.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back