• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thuglife, hang in there. Sometimes it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Just take one day at a time - perhaps one hour at a time. Some things in life can be hard, very hard. Sometimes we are in the right place at the right time. Sometimes we are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Most of the time we have to make our own breaks. Good luck with everything and enjoy those twelve hours, some things are life are too precious to let go!

Fly_Chick said:
Thuglife, hang in there. Sometimes it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Just take one day at a time - perhaps one hour at a time. Some things in life can be hard, very hard. Sometimes we are in the right place at the right time. Sometimes we are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Most of the time we have to make our own breaks. Good luck with everything and enjoy those twelve hours, some things are life are too precious to let go!

Other things in life aren't that precious at all, do it long enough and quite a few realize just how short life is and when I have to decide what is most important a family or flying, it surely ain't a difficult choice or decision for me to have to make. This isn't everyone's "cup of tea" and for some it takes many years to come to that realization, for others it takes less time.

If only one could re-write history

Fly_Chick said:
Just take one day at a time - perhaps one hour at a time. Some things in life can be hard, very hard. Sometimes we are in the right place at the right time. Sometimes we are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This is the best advice I've seen in this thread so far (avbug's notwithstanding). The worst thing in life you can get in is a hurry.

Real estate. Now there's something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I mean, sure, flying may not be working out for you, but real estate? I can think of a dozen things I'd rather do.

For the record, I am instructing right now, and I'm very happy with it, and that goes for equipment, QOL, benefits, hours, and the nature of the work. I desire to have a family, though, and in order to do that, I'll need to make a bit more money. And that's really my purpose for wanting to move on. I don't have a family yet, so I'm in no rush. I'm even thinking about getting some additional ratings; commercial ASES and Helo (would get the CFIG, but hey, I've already got it!). Flying is fun, or at least it should be. If I were paid better as an instructor, I'd be hard pressed to leave it, but I'm not complaining. I'm "paying my dues" and enjoying it. Is that so bad?

I'm not completely sold on the airline career, although I may end up working for an airline for a time. I'm remaining flexible. I don't care if I fly a jet. I don't care if I turboprop. I don't care if I fly a piston. I just care that I am flying and make enough to have a family.

I'm being pretty picky about my next job. Consult my avatar for my first choice. From there? Who knows. I don't like to plan that far in advance.

-Goose

Last edited:
Im also working my way up. Just getting my 135 mins seems to be taking forever. Not really in the scheme of things but once I do I'd be happy with a decent paying twin piston job in a nice part of the country and I know there's a lot out there. As far as airlines Im trying to avoid them but its hard sometimes considering they seem to be the only ones who will glance at my resume with my hours. Industry's in the $hitter but while Im single with virtually no debt Im gonna ride it and see where aviation takes me. I may be a crusty old bitter pilot in some time but now Im trying hard to look positively at the industry and hope I end up in my zen palace. And regards to SJS, the only thing cool I think would be to have apicture of me next to one of those shiny things and show my friends what I fly. Other than that Im sure after some time flying an RJ is proabably like flying anything else.

Goose, you sound like a good guy with a good attitude, I would not worry. Fly chick has some great advice, I think we all should take something from it.

My point is that with the way things look at the moment, It just might not be the smartest thing to take out a huge loan to get your ratings. Take your time, chip away at it slowly while developing other career skills. Dont bet the farm, especially if you dont even own one.

Real estate investing has its down side, just like every thing else. It can be extremely nasty work and some of the losers you have to deal with can bring ya down, if ya let em. I have had to fire more jackasses in the last 1.5 years then I care to recall. Its seems the bottom of the barrell gravites towards remodelling ect. But, I have free time to chase my dreams. One of those being an RV sport plane. An RV just might quench my thirst for flying, who knows? I might go back to college and get another bachelor degree, this time in marine biology and go chase sharks er something as I also love to dive.

But, im 31 and i cant keep farting around forever. Or can I :)

GL bud:)

macfly said:
My point is that with the way things look at the moment, It just might not be the smartest thing to take out a huge loan to get your ratings.

Agree 100%. I was lucky. I lived at home and did my flying at a state school, so I only had to take out about $18K of loans, which is turning out to be pretty manageable on instructor pay. I'd advise anyone to do what I did.

An RV just might quench my thirst for flying, who knows?

Now THAT would be cool! But I don't seeing it quenching anything. It'll probably just get worse.

But, im 31 and i cant keep farting around forever. Or can I.

Well, I just turned 29, and if you asked me, I've got all the time in the world.

-Goose

Goose Egg said:
For the record, I am instructing right now, and I'm very happy with it, and that goes for equipment, QOL, benefits, hours, and the nature of the work.

Flying is fun, or at least it should be. If I were paid better as an instructor, I'd be hard pressed to leave it, but I'm not complaining. I'm "paying my dues" and enjoying it. Is that so bad?

I'm not completely sold on the airline career, although I may end up working for an airline for a time. I'm remaining flexible. I don't care if I fly a jet. I don't care if I turboprop. I don't care if I fly a piston.

I'm being pretty picky about my next job. -Goose

Goose, I took some liberties on your quote, yet agree 100% with what is stated above.

You do have all the time in the world. You have the whole world in front of you. I have a couple of years on you, yet so many others have told me that I have so much time in front of me... so for now I will enjoy every minute of it (although it may be challenging at times).

There are times when I look back at what I did, yeah, I could have regrets at how I chose to pursue this crazy aviation thingy... yet also realize I made the best decisions I could at the time with the info I had at the time.

I also realized so much of it is "right place, right time" yet also know that we have to make our own breaks. I have been very lucky and fortunate to be where I am now, yet a lot has to do with perserverence and attitude.

hindsight is 20/20...the bottom line is to do what makes you happy. If flying makes you happy do whatver you gotta do to get flying. If real estate makes you happy the same goes for that. Do whatever you want in life that makes you the happiest. You only live once, dont have any regrets.

Fly_Chick said:
Thuglife, hang in there. Sometimes it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel... some things are life are too precious to let go!

Precisely the reason he should hang it up. If you ain't happy, move on. If its not for you, move on. There's 10 people out there who'd bury a hatchet in their mother's forhead for your job. Besides, your attitude is perceived by all of your coworkers and nobody likes working for "that guy."

Of all the guys I used to instruct with, those who sucked it up and paid their dues for low wages and long hours have been successful in this unpredictable volatile industry of ours. The common factors among them are that they LOVE TO FLY and they PERSEVERED. The guys who whined and had crappy attitudes are bartending, back in school (law, grad, med, massage) and/or living with mom.

The same is true for folks stuck in crappy dead-end jobs whose dream is to fly. If you ain't happy, hang it up and walk away from the fat paycheck, bonuses and stock options and make the jump. I did and I haven't looked back since.

If the airlines were really smart they would put interviews up for sale on ebay. It would be interesting to see how much they could get.
Americk07 well said.

Latest resources

Back