this may end up turning to a hat-esque flame discussion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

35khighpjc

but then as a younger up and coming pilot, it did spark a thought in my curious mind: is there any particular reason every airline is different in the color of the bar on the shoulder boards and on the hats? Is there a real reason behind it?

-Paul

different horses for different courses.... same reason not all airlines paint their airplanes the same, i guess.

personally, I like black and gold the best, with the white Pan Am hat. classic! 73

White sucks

Agreed on the white hat - classic!
You betcha...especially after a few walk-arounds and the dripping oil spots start to fill in the middle of the top of the hat. Makes about as much sense as us all wearing white shirts. Very professional until a few oil/grease spots ruin them. Who's idea was that anyway? How about we go to white hats and shirts for captains and black or navy shirts and hats for FOs (ala Regis monotone). That way the captains can look professional/sharp and the FOs can look sharp/stylish without replacing all of their shirts every year.:D

PS. I too liked the PanAm uniforms.

You betcha...especially after a few walk-arounds and the dripping oil spots start to fill in the middle of the top of the hat.

You wear your cover during the walk-around?

I thought that's where the greasy, spikey hair came from.

By the way, I too am partial to the Pan Am uniform base on the Navy
dress blues.

Last edited:
Nope!

You wear your cover during the walk-around?

I thought that's where the greasy, spikey hair came from.
Nope...the hat's been collecting dust on the closet shelf since the first furlough prior to hat's becoming optional. Hate the hat. Just commenting on how stupid white material in any part of a uniform is around the underside of an aircraft.

...especially after a few walk-arounds and the dripping oil spots start to fill in the middle of the top of the hat

If that is the case, I might be more worried about the equipment I am flying than my uniform! :)

Latest resources

Back