• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hes coming to united, yippie

I think you might be right

Midwest's No. 2 resigns suddenly
Chief operating officer, on the job for 4 months, leaves for other opportunity

By TOM DAYKIN

[email protected] Posted: June 3, 2008, After just four months on the job, the No. 2 executive at the corporate parent of Midwest Airlines Inc. has abruptly quit.

spec.gif
Joseph Kolshak

Multimedia Hear a March interview with Joseph Kolshak and find video of the conversation here.

Joseph Kolshak, chief operating officer at Oak Creek-based Midwest Air Group Inc., has "resigned to pursue another opportunity," the company said in a brief statement Tuesday.
Midwest Air Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Timothy Hoeksema said the search for a new senior operations executive will begin immediately.

"We thank Joe for his contributions in his brief time with us and wish him well in future endeavors," Hoeksema said in a statement.

Kolshak couldn't be reached for comment. One source said Kolshak is taking an executive position at a larger airline.

Kolshak, 51, was seen as a likely successor to Hoeksema, 61, who's been Midwest's top executive since the carrier began in 1984.
His sudden departure took employees by surprise.

"That's the fastest fly-by I've ever seen for someone in that level of management," said Capt. Jay Schnedorf, chairman of the Air Line Pilots Association's chapter at Midwest Airlines.
Kolshak's resignation is a loss for Midwest Airlines, Schnedorf said. Kolshak brought an outsider's perspective to the challenges that the carrier is facing, he said.

"We looked to him as a source of solutions," Schnedorf said.

Kolshak also lacked the "baggage" that other company executives carried from not effectively communicating with employees in the past, Schnedorf said.

<H3>Airlines struggling</H3>

Midwest Airlines and other carriers are struggling with soaring jet fuel prices that have those companies operating in the red. Airlines might report combined losses of $6.1 billion in 2008, according to the International Air Transport Association.

In April, Midwest said it would cut 109 employees, amounting to a 3.5% work-force reduction. Midwest, the dominant carrier at Mitchell International Airport, also said it was cutting flights.

Kolshak joined Midwest Air in February as the company was sold to investment firm TPG Capital, of Fort Worth, Texas, and Eagan, Minn.-based Northwest Airlines Corp. He worked at Delta Air Lines Inc. for 20 years, and had been executive vice president and operations chief before leaving Delta in December.

Northwest's 47% stake in Midwest Air is to be acquired by Delta as part of its pending purchase of Northwest. Delta needs approval from antitrust regulators in order to complete its acquisition of Northwest, which was announced in April. Delta and Northwest said Tuesday that the Justice Department has requested additional information about the proposed merger.

In a March interview with the Journal Sentinel, Kolshak was asked how long he expected to stay at Midwest.

"As long as they'll keep me," Kolshak replied. "I didn't come here for a year or two years. I am here to spend another career at Midwest."

Perhaps the reservation queue at United present more of a challenge to him.

I love executive titles in modern corporate america (60 minutes had a great story on them). Kolshak (Senior Vice President of Operations) now reports to Tague (Executive Vice President of Operations, Chief Operating Officer).

Last edited:
who really cares. Nobody is making a difference.People go where the money is. I am just ammazed that TPG and NWA are keeping the current management around, after a terrible performance.Who knows if TPG placed him as a COO. Joe L. left AAI and they are still around. It does not matter who runs MEH, and TPG and NWA will not drop MEH after paying 450 million.

Kinda like AAI CFO leaving recently without notice, right?

As stated earlier, Gadek left for a promotion after spending several years with the company. A four month "fly-by" sounds kinda fishy. Either way, not a pretty picture for anyone not named SWA.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back