Thinking Abt. AF Reserves, need info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyboy321

I am currently furloughed form a regional, and was thinking about the AF Reserves. The last time I taked to a recruiter (about a year ago in Phoenix) they said that they got all the pilots they needed from guys coming off of active duty, and therefore would not be sending anyone to flight school. Is this the same situation everywhere? Are there units that will send you to flight school? Can you sign up with a unit even if you are not a local? I have always liked the idea of the reserves, but I'm wondering if there is any way in if I'm not prior military?

Any info would be appreciatied.

Flyboy

I can tell you about how the Air National Guard works and how to apply.

Getting a flying job in the Guard or Reserves off the street is extremely rare. More likely than not, they are going to want to see what you are like and how you work before they are going to spend millions on you. You have to be commited to a military career first meaning you probably need to get in and then work on a military flying career from the inside. I would suggest getting into maintenance or operations where you will have access to the crewmembers, make the contacts, then "politic" for a flying job. Having been in the military over 22 years, currently in the Air Guard, don't do it unless you are ready to "go to war". There is a high operations tempo now, and the omnipresent probability of getting deployed for a period of time to be determined after you get there. I can't tell you how many people I've seen get in and then say "Oh wow, I didn't really think I would have to go anywhere".

Ok, here's the deal...

Getting a pilot slot "off the street" is difficult but not rare. I was offered 4 slots when I was applying and I was just fresh college grad and new CFI. Several other friends got accpeted for pilot training. It helps if you're enlisted in the unit you're applying to, but why lock yourself into something you don't want? Do not enlist, stay persistent. Most of the pilots in the unit weren't enlisted to begin with anyway.

Your first step is to call as many guard units as possible. Go to the ANG website directory and get the info. I thnk Air Inc. puts out a directory of units as well. Speak to the personnel office and ask when they're haveing a UPT (undergraduate pilot training board). Ask what they want in their application package. Most require: cover letter, college transcripts, resume, letters of recommendation, copies of pilot certificates, and AFOQT scores (air force officer test like the SATs). They can give you info on where to take these tests.

They will have a group of officers usually pilots go over the packaegs and pick about 10-15 people to interview. Most of the time a unit will have 2 slots pick for. The interview is just their chance to see if you will make a good officer and someone who they can drink some beers with.

Things are a little different post 9/11 but there are still opputunities out there. Good hunting.

Latest resources

Back