• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Things not to say during an interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm with Hugh on this one. Not everyone is "out to get you". At every interview where I was presented with this question, the interviewer was truly giving me the opportunity to ask any final questions about the company. You see, an interview is a two-way street. Not only is an applicant being sized up, but, hopefully, the candidate is also being observant about the company. Not every match is one made in heaven. The more questions you ask, the better, IMO.

Personally I'd go with the professional advise, but it is of course a matter of opinion. It seems to me that there are numerous opportunities during the interview process (not just the interview itself) to ask many questions, which is why Air Inc recommends telling them that your questions were answered during the earlier presentation and to thank them for the opportunity. I'm sure there are times the opposite is true, but it is impossible to tell just what those times are.

What earlier presentation? Not every airline interviews in the format of a group presentation followed by an interview. Some companies have an interview and that's it - no introduction about the company or anything. Certain companies expect you already know everything about them, or you wouldn't be there.

"Sup Essay!"

or

"Oh, hey. Don't got to the restroom for at least anotha 30 or 45 minutes"

or

"Oh $hit i didnt mean ta fart."

or

"scuse me while i whip this out"

Definitely ask a question! Just don't make it laundry list and be sure that it is heartfelt and sincere. Interviewers can spot insincere questions a mile away. But if you ask a very pertinent and thoughtful question it shows that you did some research on the company, which in turn shows that you are truly interested in the company. Again, keep it short - limit your questions to one, perhaps two, and never ask about the interviewers tenure - they already have the job and will internally respond that way.

Lori

Welcome

Welcome to the board, Lori. Informed and authoritative feedback and comments about the hiring process have been badly needed here. I look forward to your posts.

Last edited:
bobbysamd said:
Well, Lori, I thought my question to Grady Reed about Mesa Airlines acquiring regional jets was pertinent and thoughtful. As you would be aware, Mesa eventually acquired both Embraer and Canadair RJs.
Bobby, you're convinced that asking the question torpedoed your chances. maybe, maybe not - you'll never know. plenty of people have had what they thought was a successful interview and not gotten the call for whatever reason. only the HR people know for sure...

shoot, maybe Mesa had an issue with your age. at 40, you'd be at the company 20 years. why not hire some eager young gun who'll be gone in 5 years tops? saves the company a lot of $$ in pay and benefits costs....

true story - while interviewing at Comair, I met an applicant who flew Beech 1900s out west. we were just making conversation, when he tells me he how much he hates flying with young FOs (apparently he knew everything and knew which FARs really mattered) and how he turned off his radios over the mountains. he'd done the route so often that he only turned them on when he "knew" ATC would call. amazingly, Comair passes on him...

Mesa rejection

captainv said:
shoot, maybe Mesa had an issue with your age. at 40, you'd be at the company 20 years. why not hire some eager young gun who'll be gone in 5 years tops? saves the company a lot of $$ in pay and benefits costs....
I actually was 39 and a half. That's been one of my theories for a long time and something I believe sincerely and will take to the grave with me, as I have commented many times.

I actually deleted my post in favor of giving Lori a public welcome. The old board let one delete posts if one changed his/her mind. It also let you edit indefinitely. Sometimes, you pick up typos you didn't see when rereading something you had written earlier.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back