• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Things not to say during an interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did you guys ever see the George Carlin skit about job interviews?

He said if the interview isn't going well, just point to the picture on the boss's desk and ask "who's the c-nt?"

I love Carlin!!

I told the Island Air interviewers I wanted to be a "Pukashell Tourguide", couldn't believe that came outta my mouth....I think the HR chick about swallowed her tongue to keep from laughing (you'd have to know the song...it's a local parody of "Rhinestone Cowboy"). They still hired me, but I felt like a moron. That shoe usually fits just fine.

Dumas

Do you guys remember that Dumas commercial (Snickers maybe) where the guy kep saying Duma$$? That was classic.

jetexas said:
A friend of mine had an interview with a regional some years ago. He had been sent a letter of recommendation from a friend that worked there. Along with the letter of recommendation was a personal note to the effect of "Hey buddy, gimme a call after the interview and we'll go have some drinks, chase skirt and maybe go to a strip joint"

Wellll, at the interview he mistakenly handed them the personal note thinking it was the LOR. He wasn't offered the job ultimately. I hope it wasn't because of the wrong note he passed because that's the type of stuff that makes overnights fun!
That is hilarious!!!

Kathy

Don't ask questions

Not only should you watch what you say but you should watch what you ask at interviews. Interviewers will often ask at the end if you have any questions. Tread it with caution!! It could be a gambit intended to knock you out of consideration.

Well-intended questions regarding the airline's future plans can screw you. I know. At my Mesa interview in 1990, I asked if Mesa planned to acquire RJs. At that time the CRJ and ERJ were in development. It was very foolish of me to ask that question. My interviewer, who was a Vice-President of something or another, was most put off by my question. His answer was "no." I was not hired. I remain convinced to this day that my reasonable question caused in whole or in part my rejection.

Of course, as Paul Harvey always says, the rest of the story is that Mesa acquired both kinds of RJs and even puts MAPD grads in their right seats!

Lesson to be learned from my mistake: Decline the gambit. Do not ask questions if invited to at interviews.

SCT said:
Did you guys ever see the George Carlin skit about job interviews?

He said if the interview isn't going well, just point to the picture on the boss's desk and ask "who's the c-nt?"

I love Carlin!!
.... :) I like it!

bobbysamd said:
Lesson to be learned from my mistake: Decline the gambit. Do not ask questions if invited to at interviews.
This is essentially the same advice that I got from Air Inc. before my interview. They said to take the opportunity to thank them for the interview and ask them for the job. Which is exactly what I did. I got hired, though I'm sure that was one of many factors that led to their decision. Perhaps a very small one, but I think it lead to a graceful conclusion to the interview.

How about this for a question: Man I've got to pee! Where's the john?

bobbysamd said:
I think this is bad advice. Yes, it's a good time to thank them and ask for the job, but it's also an opportunity to show you have done your homework, that you know something about the company and that you are interested in that company. In fact, I can't imagine anyone doing proper research about a company and not coming up with excellent questions for the interviewers. Don't ask difficult questions and avoid items that could make it look like you just want to be getting ahead at the expense of the company...ie,,"are you going to be getting better equipment than what you have now?" yep, bad question. Another way to look at an example of asking about new equipment is to review the equipment plans that have been announced already. Ex. "I read in xyz that you plan to bring the 70 seat RJ on the property next year. Has the company made a decision as to what cities will be served by these larger jets?" Something like that. At one interview, I knew a lot about the company, and my question was "is the fleet size still x number of aircraft". I didn't ask if it would grow, shrink or anything, just asked a question that showed I knew the fleet and they were free to tell me if that number was going to grow, shrink or whatever if they liked.
This is also the time during the interview that YOU are the one asking the questions. It can be about a subject YOU want to talk about. The majority of the questions I have asked in interviews have opened the door to easy conversation between the interviewers and me that I strongly feel made the difference in them feeling as though they got to know me better than if I just gave them the canned "thanks for having me, now hire me" line. You want to take advantage of every opportunity to give them a chance to know and like you better. Don't run away when they give you a chance to sell yourself some more. But do think about what you are saying, I think I've come close to blowing a couple interviews. In fact, in the biggest stakes interview I had, I really believed that I had blown the panel interview and that my question led to dialogue that saved my bacon...or you can put your tail between your legs and run when the give you the chance.

Questions

I think this is bad advice. Yes, it's a good time to thank them and ask for the job, but it's also an opportunity to show you have done your homework, that you know something about the company and that you are interested in that company . . . .
(emphasis added)

Which is what I thought I was doing - showing interest in the company. Here again, the irony of how Mesa eventually became a leading RJ operator never fails to slay me.
Don't ask difficult questions and avoid items that could make it look like you just want to be getting ahead at the expense of the company . . . .
It should have been blatantly obvious to my Mesa interviewer that his airline would be my last stop. I was forty when I interviewed with him, I was clearly not majors meat and not looking to build turbine and leave. And, again, I had been told that my age would be an asset because of maturity and stability. He should have asked me that question.

I maintain that asking questions is ill advised because you can never be sure of the interviewer's objective or agenda. However, every question asked of you should be viewed as a further opportunity to sell yourself.

Good luck with your interview. Think about what you're being asked and hold your tongue appropriately.

bobbysamd said:
I maintain that asking questions is ill advised because you can never be sure of the interviewer's objective or agenda.
True, unless the agenda is to see if you can come up with a decent question.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back