Things airline recruiters have done wrong

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotyip said:
We start them at what I believe is the highest F/O starting salary in the 135 on-demand business. $33K/yr first year. So there is kind of a repayment in sense by the starting guarentee. Recruiting costs are a burden to all companies, both in man-hours to administer and actual cost of interviewing non-qualified individuals, and our company is no different. We are in a tuff business climate right now and have to everything we can do to control costs. We have contracted to an outside company, HRPQ, to do our screening for us, much like we do for engine overhauls, wet ditching, etc. HRPQ is in business to make money; they charge a fee for that service, the money does not go to us. Our pool is full at the present time and our turnover is very low so something must be working with our process.
Kudos to your company for setting the bar high for 135 f/o salaries. I only commented because you had stated the app fee, "eliminates shoppers who are not serious about making commitment to intervew (sp)". Recruiting costs are indeed a burden to a company, as is any cost. It is also known as a cost of doing business. My personal opinion is that people should not be charged for applying for a job. Contrary to all that, it does appear as if you guys are going a great job in your hiring and as a former 135 guy, best of luck to your continued success.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

And the rest of you are pathetic.

This thread was started to air out all of the BS before the hiring begins again. It's in everyone's best interest to be treated respectfully and professionally.

But I suppose ya'all (christ I've gone redneck) would rather piss and moan about the election, eh?

Why hasn't one person mentioned the effect of affirmative action in airline hiring?

Let me guess, my original post was too long for the short attention spans of our Headline News/Ticker Tape culture.

We'd much rather take pot shots at one another than stick together and better our collective situation.

It's your life; your career. Wallow in it if you like.

Mar,

I thought affirmative action had been covered already in previous posts...

mar said:
And the rest of you are pathetic.
So I guess your definition of "pathetic" is anyone who doesn't walk, talk, look, act or think like YOU. Yessiree, that's MY definition of pathetic. :rolleyes: But evidently, it fits YOU to a T.

Also, bafanguy is correct. It has been covered in previous posts. Ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Good points.

That was just my version of flame bait.

I liked the book "Moondogs Flying Academy and Other Air Disasters". In it, the author talks about going to an interview with DAL. The interviewers led him into a room with a rocking chair and he said "Oh how fun, I love rocking chairs" or something like that. Very funny stuff.

I'm no one's fool

FarginDooshbahg said:
Then good job and well done, my man.

If you wanna move something up front all ya gotta be is a little louder than the rest and use some provocative language a la Jerry Springer.

Works everytime.

"Moondogs Flying Academy..." is on my reading list. One day I'll ditch this computer and pick up a book again... :cool:

I think the shrink with the rocking chair in the Delta interviews committed suicide eventually. I actually didn't interview with this guy personally, but with his partner. No rocking chair but one very weird dude.

When I walked in the room, the first thing he said to me was, "My, you're a tall one." Subsequent comments included, "You're a better speller than the others...Where did you go to college ?" All I did in this portion of the interview was look at this man with a blank expression and answer in words of one syllable.

When I got back to the quonset hut that passed for an office at DAL GO, the HR guy, if you can call him that, said, "Well, you work for an airline so you probably understand the benefits." "Yuh huh", says I.

Then I go to another quonset hut for the flt ops interview. I go into the outer office and the secretary waves me through an open door. Inside is an absolutely ancient guy whose crutches are leaning againt the wall. He doesn't even look up from his desk. I stand silently; I am getting uneasy.

He says to me(without looking up from the desk), "What ya been flying ?" "737's", says I. He: "You'll be hearing from us in a couple of weeks." I turn and leave without even sitting down. I figure this thing's a bust but the joke's on THEM...I didn't even wear a suit !!! I wore a sport coat cuz I didn't own a friggin' suit !!! HA...HA...HAAA

Two weeks later I was hired: another two weeks and I was sitting in class on Virginia Ave. When I read about what you poor b@stards do now to get a job, my heart goes out to you. The only thing that comes to mind: ORGAN GRINDER'S MONKEY.

30 years, 6 months later, I retired almost 4 years early.

Everything Mar said is true...and so is what I said. Sad, huh ?

Last edited:
mar said:
Why hasn't one person mentioned the effect of affirmative action in airline hiring?
Do you really want to get me going on Affimative Action?

mar said:
"Moondogs Flying Academy..." is on my reading list. One day I'll ditch this computer and pick up a book again...
I'll loan you my copy ... but then, you never read the last book that was loaned to you.....:D

Latest resources

Back