Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

There are people hired to come on these boards to influence.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Then it's like Pilotyip said. Step up to the plate and DO SOMETHING about it, or quit bitching. It's typical behaviour. Point out the perceived faults of others in an attempt to make yourself look better. At least to you. But when it's time to put up or shut up, most just cower away because they don't have the knowledge or ability to do anything except complain.

Not everyone who isn't dirnking the union koolaid is managment. Some people just have a realistic view of what is going to happen.

VOTE NO ON STRIKE

ASARJMan said:
Agree. Superpooter, atlcrjdriver, denumnuts, voiceofridulous, crashpad, etc, even ole Joe Merchant (although he's a pilot). Voting YES, strike ballots on the way.

(Sarcasm Alert)

You know what ASARJ, I confess, I was sent to this board by BL to infiltrate the line and bring down ALPA via flightinfo.com. I just got my stock option bonus for breaking the 100 post mark worth 750K and got July 4 off.

Dumb A**

Flip Conroy said:
Then it's like Pilotyip said. Step up to the plate and DO SOMETHING about it, or quit bitching. It's typical behaviour. Point out the perceived faults of others in an attempt to make yourself look better. At least to you. But when it's time to put up or shut up, most just cower away because they don't have the knowledge or ability to do anything except complain.

Most pilots DO suggest things that would make their company run better, smoother, or for less money. But getting into management, upper management at least, is something that, for the most part, is limited to those who have been there before. I would love a chance to be CEO of ASA. Whoever said that leadership is sorely lacking in this business is right on the mark. Pilots are problem solvers, and for the most part are hands on people. That is what this industry needs, not idiots that sit in their offices looking for ways to cut costs. Read "From Worst to First" sometime. It's very enlightening what a true leader can do for an airline.

vote yes, only if they bring this year's christmas present to the picket line. and, instead of cookies, ask for some otter pops, it's hot out there.

PCL_128 said:
Anyone who doubts what Sedona16 is suggesting should read the book Confessions of a Union Buster by Mark Levitt. He spent over 20 years as a labor-busting consultant and finally had to leave the business because he realized how truly horrible the things he did were. After reading this book, you'll have no doubt that management will go to any lengths to bust a union. This is about ego and control, not business.

Nothing wrong with a union buster actually. youd be suprised but many people are frankly sick and tired of unions. They come in and try to tell everyone how to run their lives. Your mec speaks for you they say. The problem is they absolutely can't stand any dissenting view. Some people are simply happy with what they do and thats that. Unions never want you to be happy because they use anger to keep their agenda going. The second a union gets a new contracts its almost immediately talk about how they can rob the company blind next time a new one is due. Its refreshing that more and more people want to get rid of unions. The way they operate now does not work. We need to bust alpa and start over fresh. New blood with a vision for the future is what we need to save our careers. The problem is the unions have people so angry its going to take a long time for common sense to prevail.

D'Angelo said:
Nothing wrong with a union buster actually. youd be suprised but many people are frankly sick and tired of unions. They come in and try to tell everyone how to run their lives. Your mec speaks for you they say. The problem is they absolutely can't stand any dissenting view. Some people are simply happy with what they do and thats that. Unions never want you to be happy because they use anger to keep their agenda going. The second a union gets a new contracts its almost immediately talk about how they can rob the company blind next time a new one is due. Its refreshing that more and more people want to get rid of unions. The way they operate now does not work. We need to bust alpa and start over fresh. New blood with a vision for the future is what we need to save our careers. The problem is the unions have people so angry its going to take a long time for common sense to prevail.

I asked some of these questions earlier but ill ask again. These are sincere questions so try not to be flip.

If every airline pilot in the industry were to abandon unions tomorrow (we'll assume they could do this overnight) what do you think would happen to work rules, pay, etc?

Do you think the majority of managers would be fair enough to keep this profession as a pilot worth having?

If the only governing balance came from supply and demand what would stop managers from turning this into an industry of 22 year olds who were happy to make 1000 a month?

How did all the work rules that even non union airlines (i.e. Skywest) enjoy now come into being?

What about safety....could airline managers be trusted to not put the almighty dollar ahead of some questionable work rules?

How much profit would it take before there was enough put away for a rainy day that managers could share more with the employees? At SkyWest corporate is making more money than they ever have in the entire history of the airline. Some people are getting rich. They are buying other airlines and planes for hundreds of millions of dollars, prepaying on engine overhauls years in advance to eliminate profit sharing money, etc but the most they say they can afford is 1.2 percent pay to the pilots....take it or leave it. In the past four years the work rules and things that used to make Skywest really something special have been raped and pillaged. Make no mistake as long as the managers can (and they can because there is nothing stopping them) they will continue to chip away at work rules and pay. Leadership is dead....it’s only about money in the top pockets and the shareholders. Do you disagree with this? PLEASE tell me where I am wrong. Please answer these questions with something that is even slightly believable?!

Last edited:
D'Angelo said:

Wrong idiot. Unions don't have people angry. Management has people angry. If management could be trusted to do the right thing and treat people well then there would be no need for unions at all. But, history has proved that management can't be trusted to do the correct thing, or treat it's employees well. INCLUDING AIRLINE MANAGEMENT.

Look at Wal-Mart. All part time employees, except for managers. Why do you think that is? Maybe because it's cheaper to hire 2 part timers with no benefits than it is 1 full timer with benefits? And when a Wal-mart store attempts to unionize they just close it down. If you think your job would be worth having without a union, or a threat of a union, you are deceiving yourself.

CEO go for it

ATR Driver if you would truly like to be CEO of ASA, stop flying get into business side, develop impressive credentials, get into one of the top MBA programs, and then take a mid-level entry job in airline management, at about the same as a top Capt.’s pay. Spend lots of extra hours at the office to include weekends to impress those who have the ability to recommend you for promotion. Make one or two great moves to other airlines where you move up to higher level jobs in the organization. Never loose touch with your pilot brother hood, so spend a lot of left over free time staying in touch. That will help you develop the leadership traits that are longed after by post of the posters. You will also have to network with those who can improve your career, be it church, the golf club or other civic duties. Forget about your family life if you go the track that will take you the CEO position in any company there will very few blocks of 4-5 days off in a row. BTW union shoppers are amongst Wal-Mart largest user, why because of pricing. I see the pro-union stricker on the bumpers of the cars in the parking lot.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
ATR Driver if you would truly like to be CEO of ASA, stop flying get into business side, develop impressive credentials, get into one of the top MBA programs, and then take a mid-level entry job in airline management, at about the same as a top Capt.’s pay. Spend lots of extra hours at the office to include weekends to impress those who have the ability to recommend you for promotion. Make one or two great moves to other airlines where you move up to higher level jobs in the organization. Never loose touch with your pilot brother hood, so spend a lot of left over free time staying in touch. That will help you develop the leadership traits that are longed after by post of the posters. You will also have to network with those who can improve your career, be it church, the golf club or other civic duties. Forget about your family life if you go the track that will take you the CEO position in any company there will very few blocks of 4-5 days off in a row. BTW union shoppers are amongst Wal-Mart largest user, why because of pricing. I see the pro-union stricker on the bumpers of the cars in the parking lot.

I doubt that they are amongst their LARGEST shoppers, but yes, most people shop at Wal-mart simply because of the prices. Most people look the other way at the business practices. As far as being CEO of ASA, i don't spend time under desks, so that is not going to happen. And leadership skills for management is not something that I need to develop, I was in the business world for almost 20 years before I decided to make a career change.

Latest resources

Back