The Zero Flap G/S Inop Approach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LittleDeuce

Could someone please supply a reference to the requirement that this approach be completed without a Glide Slope?

Those of us who have taken a type rating ride are all too familiar with this senario.

I am trying to make a case because I believe this practice is not consistant with the "fly the way you train, train the way you fly concept"

Are we still doing this because it is "the way we always have"?

WHERE's the reference?

I have check the PTS guide (if fact it says you don't have to do it)
I cannot find a reference in the FAA Handbook 8400.10.

Thanks

Are you refering to the zero flap approach requirement on 121 and 135 PIC checks? If so, there is no requirement for a G/S inop approach. However, most Part 25 aircraft require that the PIC demonstrate a zero flap approach. It is easiest to do on a non-precision approach. The check airman/Inspector is not only allowed, but encouraged to combine events. The CA is required to give two precision and two non-precision approaches minimum. Generally I do the zero flap approach, non-precision with a circle and a bulked landing. In one approach, I have covered 4 events. Some check airman, especially simulator CAs seem unable to combine events. So it sounds like you were given a localizer approach with zero flaps. It also sounds like a very scripted checkride.

I like the single engine, no flap, circle to land approach with the weather right at mins..

Latest resources

Back