Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The value of a quick upgrade to captain?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SirFlyALot

Just wondering if some of the more veteran folks here could provide some advice. When deciding which airline to go to, what value should be placed on a quick upgrade to captain? It seems like we all look at the pay tables and put a lot of emphasis on them. However, it think that if you factor in the upgrade time to captain, it changes things a bit. For example at JetBlue and AirTran, upgrades are running south of three yrs. At other airlines like UPS, America West, and Alaska, upgrades are running north of six yrs.

While the pay is generally better at the latter three airlines (esp UPS and Alaska), the guys going to JetBlue or AirTran are going to end up making as much or more during the first ten yrs of their careers by virtue of their quick upgrade time to the left seat even though their pay tables look much skimpier. Perhaps even more importantly, the guys going to those airlines are going to have significantly more furlough protection due to the fact that they will be in the top 50% of the seniority list much quicker than at a place with a relatively slow upgrade.

I realize that are many other factors to take into consideration such as stability, security, morale, management, etc, etc when selecting a company. However, if we are looking at the upgrade time by itself, am I analyzing this correctly?

Pick an airline you can live with, and have fun! It is what you make it. All aviators have worked hard to drive around in a metal tube with 100 or so nice folks in the back. Oh... and the coffee is to die for...

I interviewed at Mid Ex and Jet Blue... niether wanted me for whatever reason.... Never had the chance to try one of the Big Boys due to the economy ... bla bla bla.... But at a glance, the national boys (this week) in the left seat make about what a mid seniority FO makes at a major... I think... It's changed now with give backs and such... A senior wide body FO is a pretty good gig from what I understand.

Upgrade is a funny thing... Airlines are all about seniority... If you like your schedule .. dont upgrade. If it looks like you may miss out due to downsizing, stagnation, mismanagement, or aquisition... it might be a good idea to move left. And your right.. the dough isnt bad while it lasts.

At AirTran, guys are moving around pretty quickly.. 3 plus ... Quality of life is a big deal if you commute or have little ones at home... I know we are hiring about 15-20 percent mil... Sharp guys with really good backgrounds.

Take a look at AirTran.. I think you'll find its a easy going place with pretty good schedules and a relatively bright future.. My stay here has been very enjoyable and fun. Dont expect anything fancy or to be treated like a big shot pilot at any of the little guys.. I'm not saying that we dont recieve due respect, but nothing like the boys at Delta and American back in the day!.... We have to work for a livin... 16 days off 82 hours of pay credit a month... you do the math... Have fun and good luck with wherever you end up. If I can step out on a limb, most of the carriers are about the same.... we all have to wait for our crew bus.. and we all stay in the same hotels.. and generally have about the same type of schedules. Retirement, Seniority, and Security are the three biggest considerations.... Of which, none are guaranteed. Pan Am, United, Eastern, Midway, Braniff, Emery.....

Best of Luck and Have a great Holiday Season !!

Latest resources

Back