• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Thrill Is Gone?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am usually just a lurker and have only posted a few times but it's three o'clock in the morning and here I sit, searching for news, rumors and even speculations. I am furloughed, and I know I'm not the only one. I'm angry and disheartened and sad, but this article, surprisingly, prompted me to sit down (okay, I was already sitting...I am furloughed you know!!!) and think about the career I chose.
I suppose that many of the complaints put forth in the article are valid, and I'm sure that I complained (just a little) along with everyone else, but I can't imagine ever wishing I had taken another course in my life. I'm not quite sure what the author intended with this article, and I am sure the pilot in question got the opportunity to finally get some things off his chest, but the result for me was to reaffirm the things that I love about flying.

And because I am furloughed, and the carpet has been vaccumed,the laundry is done, the kitchen is clean, the kids are asleep, the wife is asleep, and I've already ordered the abflex... (this is the perfect time to get into shape)... I am going to list these things. Feel free to quit reading, I think I'm going to ramble a bit....

Flying.

I Love:

Remembering buying my David Clark's and realizing this ain't gonna be cheap! My shaking hands on my first flight in a 152.
My solo flight and my nervous instructor running across the Tarmac.
The smile on that instructors face when I passed my private ride.
The smile on my face when I passed the instrument ride with the %$^*@* examiner that everyone hated.
Las Vegas as my most frequent cross country trip.
The fog that lifted after I got my commercial and realized that I'd just gotten screwed by the "flight academy."
Leaving the flight academy.
My wife putting up with it.
Getting the CFI after way too much study.
Teaching after not enough study...and getting pretty good at it.
Instructing all day every day.
Getting tired of instructing.
Getting more tired of instructing.
Getting that student that made instructing fun again...and then getting tired of instructing again. (You know it happens)
Learning from the angry old examiner that takes the time. (Thank you, you'll never know).
Getting the 135 freight job, and happy as h311 to have it.
Being an FO without a clue.
Being an FO with a clue.
Upgrading.
Being a Captain without a clue.
Being a Captain with a clue.
Trying to teach the FO's without a clue just like the Captains taught me.
The first engine failure.
The fourth engine failure.
Coming home to hug my family after each engine failure, electric failure, brake failure, etc....
My first interview with a 121 Airline!
Bombing my first interview with a 121 Airline.
Having my second interview on 9-11.
Getting my first job with a 121 Airline two years later.
The thrill of going to class and making it.
The one guy in class who...well, you know.
The lifelong friends I made in class. And every where else I've flown.
Passing the sim ride. Passing IOE.
Controlling the machine.
The first time I put on the uniform, and the wife took it off.
The first time I "forgot" the hat.
The new cities, new restaraunts, new hotels.
The four days that turned into five days that turned into six days....
Picking up my youngest and swearing he'd gained a few while I was gone.
Getting home and seeing my wife after a six day and realizing again why I married her.
Wondering why she married me.
Getting our customers home on time. Apologizing when we didn't.
Trying my best to keep the customers happy when nothing was going right.
Talking the caterer out of a case of water when they were standing in the heat.
Pretzels and Mrs. T's for breakfast, lunch and yes, dinner.
The little boy who stops by the flight deck with stars in his eyes.
The little girl who stops by the flight deck with stars in her eyes.
Carrying the FA's bag up the stairs, after helping clean the cabin and crossing the belts.
Jumping out and loading bags.
Walking through the airport in full uniform (yes that means the hat...dangit) and getting to smile and nod at the little kids.
...and at the ladies, even though they really don't notice.
Drinking beer with your crew.
The greaser.
Lifting off and knowing that you're about to go where very few get to go and get to see what very few get to see.

It's now even later than when I started, and I'm sure I have'nt even scratched the surface of all the things I love about flying for a living. Maybe what it takes is looking back. I agree with everyone who says we are hurting, we are. But ask me if the thrill is gone? I don't think so. The proffession is what we make it and I miss it. Tailwinds to all, our day will come again.

Great post. A "keeper". Print it out and save a copy.

You have a lot of people on this board who are available and willing to help you get back in the cockpit. Hopefully, soon you'll be adding "Getting back in the cockpit" to your list . . . . and either "recall" or "upgrade".

Best of luck, and thanks for a great post.

How about the thrill of spending days in front of a computer writing articles about losers, miss CLAUDIA H. DEUTSCH.
There is no other job in the world where you make that much money working that little. If you want to call it work. We are talking about flying. And even if this unbelievable achievement has become a common thing to the common people, it is still the most amazing and dramatic step ever made. (I know the typewriter was too but I find out that the uncontrollable rhythm was too much too handle). So until we discover a way to travel in time, I will be here doing what I do: Flying 8 miles above the surface at 1000'/minute and looking at the world from the best spot and chasing the sunset for hours.

I will be open to any suggestions. So don't hesitate to let us know where the thrill may be now....ciberspace maybe?

I thought I would elaborate on my "WOW"...you talked about that star-eyed kid; I just got a picture sent to me from my mom, of myself around age six siting in the right seat of a Northwest 727 with my right hand on the yoke and my head looking at my mom taking the picture with my mouth hanging open...what a great thought as I am preparing for my first 121 ground school November first...

Mooser

DiscoDuck said:
I think I'm going to ramble a bit....

I needed that today. Your post stirred up many old memories from the grey matter. It put a big smile on my face.

Thanks DiscoDuck

FlyChicaga said:
Respect isn't something bestowed upon you because of a uniform or job title. It is something that you earn. You cannot earn it until you develop self-respect. Right now, there is plenty of people lacking self-respect who are calling for respect from those they serve.

As a passenger, I wouldn't have much respect for a crewmember who looks like the slept in their uniform and are acting like a three year old child. If you maintain a professional appearance, a calm professional demenor, and a high degree of personal integrity and self-respect, then you shall receive.

Hard to do that when your still quallified for food stamps!!

Both Neil and John, mentioned in the article, have done a considerable amount of ALPA work in their careers and I thank them for it. Take the article for what it is; just venting. It is impossible to go through a Ch 11 (especially one that has been dragging along 2 years now) and not do so. Narrowbody reserve at UAL is a nightmare right now, so I can understand where Neil is coming from. I doubt any reporter would present a pleasant tone in an article interviewing a legacy carrier pilot by just listening to facts, opinions aside.

"Flying.

I Love:

Remembering buying my David Clark's and realizing this ain't gonna be cheap! My shaking hands on my first flight in a 152.
My solo flight and my nervous instructor running across the Tarmac.
The smile on that instructors face when I passed my private ride.
The smile on my face when I passed the instrument ride with the %$^*@* examiner that everyone hated.
Las Vegas as my most frequent cross country trip.
The fog that lifted after I got my commercial and realized that I'd just gotten screwed by the "flight academy."
Leaving the flight academy.
Getting the CFI after way too much study.
Teaching after not enough study...and getting pretty good at it.
Instructing all day every day.
Getting tired of instructing.
Getting more tired of instructing.
Getting that student that made instructing fun again...and then getting tired of instructing again. (You know it happens)
Learning from the angry old examiner that takes the time. (Thank you, you'll never know).
Getting the 135 freight job, and happy as h311 to have it.
Being an FO without a clue.
Being an FO with a clue.
Upgrading.
Being a Captain without a clue.
Being a Captain with a clue.
Trying to teach the FO's without a clue just like the Captains taught me.
The first engine failure.
The fourth engine failure.
Coming home to hug my family after each engine failure, electric failure, brake failure, etc....
My first interview with a 121 Airline!
Bombing my first interview with a 121 Airline.
Having my second interview on 9-11.
Getting my first job with a 121 Airline two years later.
The thrill of going to class and making it.
The one guy in class who...well, you know.
The lifelong friends I made in class. And every where else I've flown.
Passing the sim ride. Passing IOE.
Controlling the machine.
The first time I put on the uniform, and the wife took it off.
The first time I "forgot" the hat.
The new cities, new restaraunts, new hotels.
The four days that turned into five days that turned into six days....
Picking up my youngest and swearing he'd gained a few while I was gone.
Getting home and seeing my wife after a six day and realizing again why I married her.
Wondering why she married me.
Getting our customers home on time. Apologizing when we didn't.
Trying my best to keep the customers happy when nothing was going right.
Talking the caterer out of a case of water when they were standing in the heat.
Pretzels and Mrs. T's for breakfast, lunch and yes, dinner.
The little boy who stops by the flight deck with stars in his eyes.
The little girl who stops by the flight deck with stars in her eyes.
Carrying the FA's bag up the stairs, after helping clean the cabin and crossing the belts.
Jumping out and loading bags.
Walking through the airport in full uniform (yes that means the hat...dangit) and getting to smile and nod at the little kids.
...and at the ladies, even though they really don't notice.
Drinking beer with your crew.
The greaser.
Lifting off and knowing that you're about to go where very few get to go and get to see what very few get to see.

It's now even later than when I started, and I'm sure I have'nt even scratched the surface of all the things I love about flying for a living. Maybe what it takes is looking back. I agree with everyone who says we are hurting, we are. But ask me if the thrill is gone? I don't think so. The proffession is what we make it and I miss it. Tailwinds to all, our day will come again."

This is beautiful!

It's so easy to bi!ch...believe me I have definitely mastered that. We need some perspective like that every once in a while. Good luck Disco.

P.S. I love the "being an FO without a clue....being an FO with a clue..." That is so true!

Latest resources

Back