• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Thrill Is Gone?????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hopefully new generations of pilots who are either contemplating professional flying or who are currently in training will realize that you will NEVER get rich in this profession ever again.... Those days are LONG GONE..... The people who are getting involved now should hopefully love flying because there won't be many more attractive aspects left for this job in the future. Certainly the respect factor is DEAD. No wealth and no respect - are you still interested in spending $100K to get all of your ratings, etc.???????

RedBelly said:
I shining example of someone who got into the profession for the wrong reasons.

It's guys like this who are the worst to fly with because they feel trapped and are bitter. I feel sorry for him because he obviously isn't happy.
I couldn't agree more with RedBelly. Everyone has come through the ranks of aviation from different backgrounds. I could say that no one has paid there dues as much as myself but, that would be wrong. Everyone has paid there dues in a different relm. This guy from UAL should be still counting his luckey stars that he never paid his dues. Sounds like another spoiled individual who is helping to drive moral down the indusry.
The current economic times in aviation are not good. However, They have never been that great since the end of Goverment deregulation. For those of us that have been flying since then could probably agree. Things have a way of balancing out in aviation and I for one, who has been beat over the coals still feel optomistic about the future. Just my two cents worth.

Respect isn't something bestowed upon you because of a uniform or job title. It is something that you earn. You cannot earn it until you develop self-respect. Right now, there is plenty of people lacking self-respect who are calling for respect from those they serve.

As a passenger, I wouldn't have much respect for a crewmember who looks like the slept in their uniform and are acting like a three year old child. If you maintain a professional appearance, a calm professional demenor, and a high degree of personal integrity and self-respect, then you shall receive.

storminpilot said:
he chucked his job as a financial analyst to go to flight school nearly 15 years ago.......When United Airlines hired him nearly 10 years ago
5 years from student pilot to United, and this guy has the balls to complain about the fact that his job is not the Valhalla he was hoping for. Hey Neilo, take a look at the wife, doubt that she is the same glamorous broad that you once met. If there is any justice she left you for a financial analyst.

In my opinion, the respect is not gone. If you treat others with respect, so shall you be respected. If you wear your uniform the way it was meant to be worn (pressed, cleaned, accessorized, shined shoes, standard coat, etc) your professional image will garner respect. If you look your pax in the eyes while greeting them rather than hide behind a cockpit door reading the paper in plain sight, you will earn respect. If you give a moment to help someone in the terminal, you will earn respect. If you think it's just going to come to you based on the fact that you are a pilot you are dead wrong.

People who find out what I do are still intrigued by the job and always ask myriads of questions. I never respond complaining about mgmt, delays, a/c, fares, scopes, and I don't bring up the negatives. I never tell them "oh yeah anyone can do this job" like I have heard some say. THose are things that will destroy your respect. I keep it positive, and they respect the passion I still have for what I do.

"Respect isn't something bestowed upon you because of a uniform or job title. It is something that you earn. You cannot earn it until you develop self-respect. Right now, there is plenty of people lacking self-respect who are calling for respect from those they serve.

As a passenger, I wouldn't have much respect for a crewmember who looks like the slept in their uniform and are acting like a three year old child. If you maintain a professional appearance, a calm professional demenor, and a high degree of personal integrity and self-respect, then you shall receive."

Fly....Don't make me slap you ;)

Always deferred said:
In my opinion, the respect is not gone. If you treat others with respect, so shall you be respected. If you wear your uniform the way it was meant to be worn (pressed, cleaned, accessorized, shined shoes, standard coat, etc) your professional image will garner respect. If you look your pax in the eyes while greeting them rather than hide behind a cockpit door reading the paper in plain sight, you will earn respect. If you give a moment to help someone in the terminal, you will earn respect. If you think it's just going to come to you based on the fact that you are a pilot you are dead wrong.

People who find out what I do are still intrigued by the job and always ask myriads of questions. I never respond complaining about mgmt, delays, a/c, fares, scopes, and I don't bring up the negatives. I never tell them "oh yeah anyone can do this job" like I have heard some say. THose are things that will destroy your respect. I keep it positive, and they respect the passion I still have for what I do.
For those of you looking for insight of what JB is looking for in their interviewees, read the above post. Excellent point AND attitude.

C yaaaa

storminpilot said:
Neil Swindells, who flies a United Airlines Airbus 320 out of Chicago, remembers why he chucked his job as a financial analyst to go to flight school nearly 15 years ago. It was not just the prospect of a six-figure salary for flying maybe 80 hours a month, or the lure of being in charge, or the sheer fun of flying. It was, most of all, the glamour, the respect that the pilot's uniform got from passengers and airline management (usually, former pilots themselves) alike.
And I thought it was all about the chicks. I bet his mailbox says Captain Neil Swindells.

Did it ever dawn on anyone that maybe....just maybe the reporter skewed the man's statements? I can think of 3 instances right off the top of my head that the media gave not so accurate statements about airline pilot's pay, lifestyle and things pilots supposedly have said.

I am so sure all of you doggin this pilot got into this industry thinking...."Hmmmm, I want to be treated like a piece of $hit....I don't want ANY respect whatsoever unless I earn it" Yeah, whatever :rolleyes:

Last edited:
capt. megadeth said:
I am so sure all of you doggin this pilot got into this industry thinking...."Hmmmm, I want to be treated like a piece of $hit....I don't want ANY respect whatsoever unless I earn it" Yeah, whatever :rolleyes:
Capt M, don't make me slap you :D

Latest resources

Back