• Watchers 46

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To all opposed

If you can pass the PC, the Oral, the Recurrent, the Line Check, and the Physical requirements, I say you remain competent to work. Many will not meet these requirements regardless of age.

If the age changes +5 years, everyone currently qualified on that date, gets +5 years to make a living wage. The idea that the rules could change is causing irrational fear. The rule, no matter what it is, affects everyone equally.

Do you want to retire on your terms, or on someone else's? I vote that you get to choose. Sadly, you have every right to let others choose for you.

Then you carp self rigteously about discrimination, but you intend to do nothing for those who have already retired

First, those that retired with their A and B plans intact were among the most vocal in preserving the Age 60 rule because it allowed them to continue making high-dollar withdrawls from those A plans. Raising the retirement age would have penalized those pilots who retired at 60. With most of those plans now in the dumpster, that argument is gone as well. Plus, trying to reinstate those pilots would be a massive complication that would unnecessarily complicate the reversal of a bad law.

. "All about me" indeed. Get off of your high horse, you want this change for no reason than to make more money.

As controversial as this is, it would be unrealistic to assume all captains would remain after 60 and it would be just as unrealistic to assume there would not be additional growth, thus there will be opportunities for upgrade and each F/O who does gets 5 more years of captain's pay he would not otherwise get. After the 5th year following the change in the law, the "stagnation" if any begins to disappear. In my person case, it would mean some additional time on reserve, and consequently some loss in money. If an F/O chooses not to upgrade, he has no one to blame but himself.

The flood of RJ's has done far more harm to most pilots progression than repealing this law ever will. And while repealing the Age 60 law will help far more pilots than it hurts, the RJ flood has only enriched the pockets of regional airline owners.

Make good investments now so you can retire early at 60. I understand that the F/O's will carry you out on their shoulders as a hero for doing so.

Bringupthebird said:
First, those that retired with their A and B plans intact were among the most vocal in preserving the Age 60 rule because it allowed them to continue making high-dollar withdrawls from those A plans. Raising the retirement age would have penalized those pilots who retired at 60. With most of those plans now in the dumpster, that argument is gone as well. Plus, trying to reinstate those pilots would be a massive complication that would unnecessarily complicate the reversal of a bad law.

Wow you really glossed over that one! Sure bud, it would just be tacky to try and make it fair for the recently retired! As long as it works for you, right?

As controversial as this is, it would be unrealistic to assume all captains would remain after 60 and it would be just as unrealistic to assume there would not be additional growth, thus there will be opportunities for upgrade and each F/O who does gets 5 more years of captain's pay he would not otherwise get. After the 5th year following the change in the law, the "stagnation" if any begins to disappear.

If there are 100 of these sorts of upgrades industry wide I would be surprised. I might be one of them, but thats not a clean deal. No thanks.quote]

There is a lot more to this than just upgrades. Lineholder, widebody flying, reserve, holidays/weekends off, etc. You know this stuff. There is more to seniority progression than just he left seat.

Right on 3B!

Phaedrus: I don't care what your AGI or your political affiliations are. I'm suprised you've heard of Boortz and yes he is outrageous sometimes but he is usually right on the money overall. He came to the defense of DAL pilots after their numerous paycuts while managemnt took bonuses. You don't have to be loaded to suffer from wealth envy. It could be envy over someone more healthy than you, or with better skills, or a better schedule, or more money. You have the attitude that you are owed something like an entitlement. Screw that! Having a government mandated retire date is crazy. All you keep it the way it is people are taking care of number one, just like all the repeal it people are thinking of themselves. Step back for a minute and really examine it. Is the only reason to keep it for attrition? There will always be attrition because guys will always retire between 55 and 70. I don't know too many guys over 70 that could pass a class 1. As far as senior captain pay, most airlines cap it between 10 and 20 years anyway. Since when do you care about management? Look, I'm not rich and I'm not a CA. I'm not assuming your politics. But you are just as selfish as the "it's about the money" crowd. As far as the "It Takes a Village" book, screw the Clinton's, how's that for showing my cards. Libertarians are far from liberal. I'm about less government interference and self determination. Let the free market make the adjustment. Time for you all to shift your paradigms...

3BCat said:
If you can pass the PC, the Oral, the Recurrent, the Line Check, and the Physical requirements, I say you remain competent to work. Many will not meet these requirements regardless of age.

If the age changes +5 years, everyone currently qualified on that date, gets +5 years to make a living wage. The idea that the rules could change is causing irrational fear. The rule, no matter what it is, affects everyone equally.

Do you want to retire on your terms, or on someone else's? I vote that you get to choose. Sadly, you have every right to let others choose for you.

Not a bad point. However, this is not the DMV or the Post Office. We are not all just putting in time. This is a going concern that does not operate in a vacuum. I'm concerned for the health of the operation (fltops, trng, safety, etc.) and the union at all levels. An age change stymies changes in the pilot ranks working on these issues. At the end of the day this is a simple flying business. Fresh ideas will come from new people and many of them will be pilots. The companies that are killing the legacies have rediscovered this. Meanwhile, most legacy carriers are wrought with cronyism and a pervasive inflexibility to change and creativity. While you are correct to point out that a number of inabilities can end a career at any age, it is no less factual that simple longevity is what makes a pilot candidate able move up. So how do we solve that? Or do you see no problem? We should freeze our higher ranks with pilots from the same [shallow] pool?

3BCat said:

NOT TRUE! Give it up! I know you are smarter than this, and I assume you know that I am smarter too.

Your arguments work much better outside of the PC "descrimination" drivel. We all know this is about money. The senior have more to gain that the junior. Even the playing field and you may get some support.

in the end I will not supprt your windfall! You want a change in the age? Address the effects on junior ppl. Ignore those effects, and lose our support.

Ivauir, yes it is about money, not necessarily greed. There many pilots whose careers have not provided for a retirement at age 60 they are done, they are not eligible for SS until 62, they need to be able to work their full career until SS retirement age. For union carriers, make 60, or 55 or whatever your contracted retirement age, but let the rest of us work until we can retire.

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind, it isn't only up to the United States. Other countries are stirring the pot as well. Some European nations have a rule on the books (although not yet enforced to my knowledge) prohibiting pilots over age 60 from operating a commercial aircraft anywhere in or through their AIRSPACE. This includes Part 121, 135 and 91K Fractional ops. We are just waiting for a ramp check of one of our greybeards (and we have many) at Lebourget or Nice for a test on this issue.

Another good reason to boycott France

pilotyip said:
Ivauir, yes it is about money, not necessarily greed. There many pilots whose careers have not provided for a retirement at age 60 they are done, they are not eligible for SS until 62, they need to be able to work their full career until SS retirement age. For union carriers, make 60, or 55 or whatever your contracted retirement age, but let the rest of us work until we can retire.

You, I would think, of all pilots would understand that you CAN continue to work. Whether its a Citation or a C310, there is something they can do. They are not being told they cannot work. If you can't muster the initiative to find yourself something to provide for your upcoming needs then why should the rest of us have to put our careers on hold to help you out? I've pointed out before that this happened in my family (father's airline job nixed @ inopportune time) and we got ourselves together. Why can't these pilots do that? I can remember from those days that not everyone of my Dad's peers did so well, but they did not really have together before and I bet they don't today. If we all pause now to help this generation of airline pilots out are they going to be able to get it together? Should we garnish your last five years of earnings to make sure you save? Maybe those of us with a better grasp on reality should adopt you when you turn 60?

Hey there 71K libertarian guy: You don't like government and you don't like Hillary's vision of "it takes a village"? Well you sure aren't shy about asking the "village" to help you out!

Latest resources

Back