The silence is deafening!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
350DRIVER said:
Amen. I flew em once and will Greyhound it before I will ever fly them again. Nothing more than a "glorified" bus in the air. No swa for I.

3 5 0

You must mean "flew em once" from a pax viewpoint because by looking at the aircraft you've flown in past, your hardly qualified to know what it's like to "fly them" from the front end.

If flying as a pax compares to Greyhound, pax have no one to blame but themselves...you get what you pay for.

Bigbrown,

In Coop's defense, it seems like you may be putting words into his mouth here that he really didn't say. He's unemployed, and I'll probably be unemployed before my class date, so please understand that we are very excited about the very best opportunity in aviation that is AVAILABLE TO US. Fact. My opinion, the best opportunity period (for many other than financial reasons), but perhaps that's just the Kool-Aid talking. I can't or won't ever say anything bad about UPS except this: Good luck trying to get on there! The fact is, while the hard pay and bennies are better at UPS, it's darn near impossible to get on there for an average joe who doesn't know 16 people there and is related to the CEO. So in the real world, with SWA hiring about 400 next year, this becomes the more realistic hope for many. Anyway, I really don't think Coop meant to dismiss anyone as "freightdogs" in a bad way, I think it was more of a "you can be excited about your job, and I can be excited with mine" statement. Anyone here who wants to put down Fedex or UPS clearly is speaking out of ignorance.

And speaking of ignorance, Pipejockey is about to earn a hollowed place among flightinfo's greatest, right up there with Mr. Lowembr. Sure, Pre 9-11, there were a lot of people who went to the big 4 over SWA, and several others who actually quit SWA to go to them. They were merely chasing the biggest paycheck and didn't see the big picture. Ask them now if they regret that decision.
Then, in 2002, while the other majors were taking concessions, SWA got a big raise and continued to expand. While I don't have exact figures, I'd be willing to guess that by 2005 SWA will employ some of the best paid 737 drivers in the country (next to DAL). Add to that all of the other non-financial good things about SWA, and I ask you: Now who is leading the race to the bottom? I've been working for a big 4 feeder, ALPA member, for almost 6 years now and my job has never been more insecure. No thanks. You are correct that the LCC's are growing at the expense of the legacy carriers. Their legacy's leadership rules with an iron fist, pitting one employee group against another, and one regional against another or against mainline. They rule over their employees with fear and intimidation. Work for less or I'll give your job to someone else. Now the folks at SWA and Jetblue know that people don't respond well to that. It's not a good way to get a loyal, productive employee. Whether it's out of the goodness of their hearts or just fantastic business sense I don't know or care (though I think it's both), but they know how to treat their people well. And they do!

Back on the Road

Now to get this thread back on track: There may be fellow poolies that do not want to announce anything until they let their current employer know of their departure. That won't happen until after the "official" calls come next week from the CP. So, you may find the pool draining more the next week or two. Keep in mind that CE750driver (#20 on the un-official list) has been called. That is great news that they reached so deep in the pool to fill a class of 20.

AF

pipejockey said:
....... the others have taken huge concessions in pay and QOL. Why? Because they can't compete with the LCC's operating under their old contracts.

Again, wisdom spouted from someone whose time is in single engine Cessna's. PPLLLZZZZ.

The reason why the carriers you listed have had to take big pay cuts is mainly because of managements bad decisions. Wasting millions on trying to start up a fractional jet operation, trying to merge with USAir, starting own LCC operating out of your own hub to compete against yourself, buying TWA, etc, etc, the list goes on and on.

And once again, it's the employees who are asked to step up and sacrifice in order to save the company from mgt's bad mistakes. And once again, we have to listen to ignorant people like you mouth off about "Death to the legacy carriers!!!"

Let me ask you...how is Joe Blow going to get to Tokyo from Podunk, USA after all the legacy carriers go under? He won't even have commuter service outta Podunk. "Oh, well, the LCC's are getting RJ's to fill in the gap." OK, then do they fly 737's or A320's to Tokyo from mainland? "Oh, well, then they'll get 747's to do that." After doing all that, what do you have?

Looks like a legacy carrier to me!

Sorry, but I had no idea that the freight guys were so in tune the doings of the poolies at Southwest.....or cared.

First of all, let's get one thing straight. I don't dismiss anyone here on this board as "insignificant," especially the freight guys. I have more respect for you guys than you think. Why would you think you're not respected anyhow? Never did understand that.

That said, I'm not going to criticize any pilot on this board for getting excited about his or her job. And it just gets "under my skin" when someone else does. Most of us here are here because we're either furloughed, unemployed, or looking to move to a better job. That's what we're doing on the Majors-Interview Board.

If you're happy at your current job at your dream airline, what are you doing here in the first place? It's an interview forum.... It's no place to start criticizing one another. What's so difficult about reading a guy's post about his excitement about his new job and just letting it go? Most people are here because they are looking for encouragement, information, and the friendly banter that is exhibited on this board....not all the other BS. Just try the General forum if it's BS you want (seems to be plenty of that there).

My basic point in responding here, to summarize, is to just let a dog have his day....don't kick him when he's down. If he's excited about his job, let 'em say his thing, and send him an "Atta Boy" or just move on.

I apologize if I got under anyone's skin....never my intention.

Coop

Wow, talk about hijacking a thread!!

Anyways, I believe that "Fredman" on the SWA poolie list will be in the January class. I have only heard it through word of mouth and can't confirm it.

Also, has anyone posted the SWA aircraft delivery schedule for 2004 yet?? Thanks everyone for keeping the thread on track.

:eek:

Being a 2nd year guy at SWA, I would leave for FedEx or UPS in a second. I would run not walk. I left a job that i loved looking for that greener grass. I'd rather fly a plane full of boxes that don't complain than fly around a plane with three boxes that complain all the time. I know guys here at SWA who were at FedEx or UPS, just woundering if there many SWA guys that left for UPS or FedEx. I need more in my life than these multiple domestic legs week after week. The biggest news here since i started is the winglets on the 737s. Now everyone thinks they fly a bigger airplane. WOW. Everyone feels the LUV, by management giving nothing, then giving just little so you feel like got something. If they were to give us something like crew meals which are standard at other airlines, I think everyone would just cry and bend over for thanks.

Just venting! Think twice before leaving a job you love for that greener patch of grass.

:eek:

Why should Vladi be working on any ratings? Maybe he doesnt want any more ratings or perhaps he just started flying recently. I'm no rocket scientist but I bet you had 200 some hours at one point in your life. I'm always surprised at how freely the personal insults come when some people just voice their opinions on this board.

bigdaddy,

I think you were the miserable puke I flew with last week. You are certainly in the minority.

Don't worry. You try hard enough you can get a job somewhere else so you can take your misery over there.

I've said this once and i'll say it again, some here at SWA would be happier at lets say AA. I know from experience that some just love to hate their jobs. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back