The silence is deafening!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thoughts

SWAbigdaddy brings up some good points but I believe the most important one is be true to yourself & what you want out of a job.

Nothing is always but certainly for the foreseeable future the following applies:

SWA will always be a combination of short/long haul.

Some passengers will always complain, boxes never do.

SWA won't be flying to exotic places anytime soon (unless you call COS, MSP, etc. exotic points). We are what we are.

Cost will always be supreme. Anything that drives up costs will be viewed as a negative by the company & factors that drive the costs down (automation, technology, work rule efficiencies, etc) will be viewed positively.

Customer service is paramount next to safety. When we forget that, we will lose our advantage.

International flying is not in the foreseeable future.

Larger aircraft are not in the forseeable future.

Conclusion:

Come in expecting SWA to be something it isn't going to be then you'll be disappointed. We are what we are. Expectations by new hires or folks currently here have to ask, who is more likely to change, the business model of SWA or my expectations for flying a domestic low-cost carrier for a 10-20-30 yr career? If that doesn't excite you, no problem, there are other options out there & I wish you good luck at pursuing your aviation goals.

As for the future of LCC, I'll take a wild guess & say our future looks very bright. More aircraft purchased (we're paying cash except for one lease deal) than all other majors combined, 400+ pilots for these aircraft, a 13% pay increase in Sept '04 (that will be a total of 26% pay increase since Sept '02). I hope the recovery continues for all carriers, not just LCC. Our growth & expansion has less to do with other carriers (LCC or legend) but more to do with how our people respond to the challenges facing us to continue to provide a safe, customer friendly, and affordable means of transportation. It is really as simple as that, regardless of what the financial pundits spout out on the various pages of US newspapers. cheers,

BigDaddy, In your interview with SWA, how did you answer that question "Why do you want to work for SWA?". Just Curious!!!

I think that Chase hit it.

Most everyone knows what SWA is. I love it and am so glad/fortunate/lucky/and on and on, that I somehow got hired here. However, I know many of my friends at other carriers who would never come here. Some people pick Subway, some like The Bell. The freedom of choice really is a very nice thing.

This forum is supposed to help people decide where they want to call home for the next 10-20-30 years if they are lucky enough to get through an interview. Getting everyones perspectives can really help people to figure out where they wanna call home. With that being said... Truly be honest with yourself before you come here.

Posts like Big Daddy's can help other people in the job search process to figure out if SWA is really a good fit for them. In my opinion, that is very good thing for everybody. After all, the less unhappy pilots there are here, the better it is for everyone else who really does love it here.

I said a while ago that SWA isn't for everybody, but, it sure is for me just like Delta is for the General. And for the people that are unhappy at their current jobs, best of luck in finding happiness!

Best of luck and Happy Holidays!!!

Don't be a Hater!
OAK

SWA, FedEx, UPS, ATA, AWA ....

I think the best airline to work for is the one that hires me first.

Looks like "Mailman" had a few too many beers before he got on the computer tonight.

oops, gotta go change another diaper...

Beat Army.

Last edited:
Re: Ummmm Beer

MailMan said:
AND see who lives past 61...

That's what I'm shooting for. Everything else really doesn't matter. Just icing on the cake. :)

But, for what it's worth, I believe I work for the best airline company around, and I would hope everyone else feels the same about the one that they work for. That's how it should be.

xXpress1 said:
But then I knew better than to spout off about things of which I had no clue.

clue about what? this whole luvy dubby bullsh!t goes on in every corporate office in america, and it sounds like SW is becoming just that, a flying cubicle, full of giddy idiots who get defensive everytime someone strays from the pack

I don't want to be a proffesional pilot, I never aspired to be one, fully content with renting cubs at a local grass field. Pilots discussing bennies and the joys of flying multi domestic legs, cleaning their planes during turnarounds? WTF?

Frankly, a 12 hour layover in Bangcock sounds a lot more exciting that this

Major Airline

OK...so this board is...a Major Airline Interview Board.

Personally, I think there's great information here for aspiring Major Airline Pilot wannabees.

If I wanted to be a surgeon, I would probably listen to surgeons, people in residency, people in medical school, etc.

But, I would ignore the guy who was telling me "one time in 9th grade...I dissected a frog...and it was really cool...and..."

Vladi...with respect to major airline pilot hiring...I don't care what you think...go back to the GA board and talk about taildraggers. Nothing wrong with that...it's where I got my start too.

Adios. Cyclone.:p

SWA luv

I agree with Goggles
SWA, FedEx, UPS, ATA, AWA ....
I think the best airline to work for is the one that hires me first.
I agree with OAK too.
This forum is supposed to help people decide where they want to call home for the next 10-20-30 years if they are lucky enough to get through an interview. Getting everyones perspectives can really help people to figure out where they wanna call home. With that being said... Truly be honest with yourself before you come here.

SWA success. It is because they hire people who are willing to do the little extra things and not complain (at least not too loudly)...in general they're happy team players (notwithstanding the FA negotiations which my $$$ is on an amicable resolution)
Happy team players...means satisfied paying customers...this is how you make money.

That's something to be giddy about (if you work at SWA). The competition can get tougher, the market can change...blah blah blah. But, as long as the LUV is alive, SWA will be a force and IMO a profitable one.

It's easier to describe HOW they are successful (by hiring the right people and a positive attitude that permeates)...than it is to COPY what they do and make it happen at another company.

:D :p :) :cool:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back